Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

SIU chancellor, Austin Lane, poses for a portrait in his office on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.
SIU leadership gets bonuses, salary increases from Board of Trustees
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 11, 2024

Three proposals received approval by the SIU Board of Trustees regarding salary increases for university officials at the July 11th meeting. The...

Heartbreaking loss of returning CAM student leaves students questioning

The dean of the College of Arts and Media called the death of graduate student Kevin Ford a “shock.”

“Kevin was a student in CAM’s School of Architecture. He came back after 25 years in the workforce to continue his studies at SIUC. We were impressed by his eagerness to come back to school after all these years,” Dean Hong Cheng wrote in an email.

Cheng said CAM extends its deepest condolences to Ford’s family and friends.

“While we mourn this loss in our CAM family, let us keep Kevin’s family and friends in our thoughts and prayers,” Cheng wrote.

Earlier on Thursday, Chancellor Austin Lane sent out a schoolwide email about Ford’s death.

“We are broken-hearted to lose a member of the Saluki family,” Lane said in his message to students and staff.

The email also reminded students of mental health support that is offered by the university.

The connections he made in his time at Southern leave the university and students grieving.

Since the message Thursday afternoon, there has been no new information about Ford’s death or plans for a remembrance.

The university has pledged to release information about funeral services and memorial arrangements as soon as they become available.

Staff reporter Joei Younker can be reached at [email protected]