Saluki soccer falls 5-0 to Dartmouth

By Tamar Mosby, Sports Reporter

Tonight the SIU soccer team played their last road game against the Dartmouth College Green (9-5) falling 5-0 in the matchup.

The Salukis entered tonight’s away game on a loss to their sister school SIUE, while the Green entered on a loss as well to Penn.

The first shot of the game came from Dartmouth, aimed at the back right corner of the goal.


Saluki freshman goalkeeper Dariana Mihalache was able to get her hands on this ball and earned her first save of the game.

The Green scored their first goal on just their third shot of the game at the 26 minute mark. 

This goal put Dartmouth up 1-0 on Southern.

With just ten minutes left to play, the Green was back at the SIU goal attacking the net. They were able to get the ball past Mihalache and push their lead to 2-0.

This goal was Dartmouth’s fourth shot of the game, putting their shot percentage at 50%. 

The Salukis struggled to keep the ball on their offensive end and weren’t able to record any shots in the first half. 

The first period ended with a missed Dartmouth goal. 


The Green out-shot Southern 5-0 in this period.

Dartmouth started the second half notching three more shots. Two of the shots were deflected by the Saluki defense, while the other missed over the top of the goal.

The first SIU shot on goal came at the 48 minute mark and was attempted by freshman forward Paityn Schneider. 

Schneider’s shot missed to the right of the goal and possession of the ball went back to Dartmouth. 

Things slowed down for Southern after Schneider’s attempt at the goal, but the Green continued to be aggressive on offense.

At the 61 minute mark, Dartmouth scored their third goal of the game, extending their lead to 3-0. 

Just a minute later, the Green was back at the Southern goal and scored again without an answer from the Salukis.

The SIU offense took their second shot of the game with the clock at 66 minutes. While the shot was on target, it was intercepted by the Dartmouth goalkeeper.

For the next several minutes, the ball went back and forth between both teams with neither being able to convert possessions into shots or goals. 

With 10 minutes left to play, the Green scored their fifth goal of the game which took their lead to 5-0. 

For the remainder of the game the Salukis continued to struggle on offense, but were able to record one last shot before time expired in the game.

This shot was taken by freshman defender Katy Quinn, but it was intercepted by Dartmouth’s goalkeeper. 

The final score of tonight’s game was 5-0.

You can see Southern (4-9-2) take the field again for their final home game next Saturday against California Baptist University. Game time is set for 6 p.m.

Sports reporter Tamar Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbytamar.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.