Southern soccer falls to SEMO in Sunday showdown

By Tamar Mosby, Sports Reporter

This afternoon the Saluki soccer team faced off against the Southeast Missouri Redhawks for the second time this season.

SIU fell to the Redhawks 2-0 in today’s matchup.

The last time the teams met, SEMO defeated the Salukis in a 2-1 exhibition win.

Southern entered today’s game on a 4-1 loss to the University of Texas Rio Grande, while the Redhawks entered on a 2-1 victory over SIUE.

SEMO got things started in the game taking the first shot of the game, but this was intercepted by SIU freshman goalkeeper Dariana Mihalche.

The first shot of the game for the Salukis came from sophomore defender Maya Warrior. This shot missed the goal and went out to the right side.

Southeast took two more shots at the Southern goal that went unanswered, but neither of these reached the back of the net and the score remained tied at 0-0.

At the 18 minute mark, the Redhawks took another attempt at the SIU goal and the ball made it past Mihalache going into the back of the net.

This goal put SEMO up 1-0 over the Salukis.

The next shot of the game came at the 27 minute mark from SIU junior midfielder Natalie Bethers. Bethers’ shot went out wide and missed the goal keeping the score 1-0.

The shot from Bethers was Southern’s last of the first period, while the Redhawks went on to shoot at the Saluki goal five more times.

Neither team was able to land a shot into the goal for the remainder of the period, which kept the score at 1-0 entering half time.

The Salukis started the second half off on an aggressive foot as they shot three separate times at the Southeast goal within the first three minutes of the period, which was more than the total shots they attempted in the first period.

One of the attempts missed the goal and the other two were intercepted by the SEMO goalie.

Southern junior forward Kathryn Creedon was the kicker of two of the three shot attempts.

Throughout the second half, the Salukis continued to take shots at the Southeast goal, but none of the attempts were able to reach the back of the net. 

After a nearly entirely scoreless half, the Redhawks were able to get the ball on their end of the field and attempt a shot at the goal. This shot missed over the top of the goal, but the team received the ball again for a corner kick after a foul on Southern.

The kick entered the field and was shot into the SIU goal by Redhawk freshman forward Kennedy Jones. Jones’s kick pushed the SEMO lead to 2-0 over Southern.

With just three minutes left to play Southeast took two more shots at the Saluki goal, but Mihalache was able to get her hands on both balls and stop them from entering the net.

Mihalache finished the game with five saves.

The final shot on goal of the game came from Southern freshman defender Katy Quinn. 

Quinn’s attempt was saved by the SEMO goalkeeper, and this save sealed the 2-0 Redhawk win as time expired on the clock before the Salukis could score.

The Salukis will take the field again next Thursday in Charleston, Illinois, as they face the EIU Panthers. Game time is set for 3 p.m.

Sports reporter Tamar Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbytamar.