Solar where? Where to go for Solar Bear 2019

By Mitch Brown, Staff Reporter

One of Carbondale’s most celebrated holidays, Solar Bear, is taking place this Saturday. Carbondale’s bars and students will host parties that start as early as 8 a.m. and go late into the night. 

Solar Bear is the fall semester version of Polar Bear, which has been celebrated for the past 16 years. Both Solar Bear and Polar Bear have become beloved traditions for SIU students. 

There’s nothing better to start off one of the largest drinking holidays in Carbondale than with more beer. PK’s will be serving breakfast Saturday morning, starting at 9 a.m. PBR and Busch drafts will be $1.50 and you can get mimosas for $12 a bottle. 

(See more: Beer, breakfast, pregaming the day: PK’s at 8 a.m.)

PK’s, Saluki Bar n’ Grill, Levels and Pinch Penny Pub will all be hosting Solar Bear celebrations. If you are 19+, you can get into these bars, except for PK’s where you have to be 21 to enter. 

Pinch Penny Pub’s annual Solar Bear Beach party starts at 3 p.m. There will be drink specials and free giveaways. 

Pinch Penny Pub will also have live entertainment provided by DJ Aron from Power102Jamz, a digital world wide radio program.

If you aren’t a fan of the lines and cost of the bars, there will be block parties all around Carbondale and if you walk the area north of West Mill St. and South of Walnut you will see parties across the town. 

The apartment complexes, including the Pointe, Aspen Court, and the Reserves, all used to have large pool parties but in recent years the landlords and police have been cracking down on the parties. 

See more: Solar bear crowd dispersed with pepper spray

House parties are registered events and have guest lists, so if you want to go to one get an invite before the weekend. 

For those participating in Solar Bear, make sure you drink water and drink responsibly especially if you want to be awake for the whole day. 

Be aware that you can still receive underage drinking and open container tickets. The Carbondale Police will be out in force around town and in the bars that evening. 

Staff reporter Mitch Brown can be reached at [email protected].