Delta Phi Epsilon holds murder mystery party to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

By Austin Phelps, Staff Reporter

Delta Phi Epsilon is having a Clue-based murder-mystery party on Thursday to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

“Basically it’s a dinner and a show so when people buy a ticket they get dinner catered by the venue Garden Grove,” President of Delta Phi Epsilon Alex Casanova said.

Attendees will sit in tables of 10 and participate in six different scenes, Casanova said.

“Your table has to try to figure out who the murderer is, what room it was done in and what weapon they used based off of the Clue board game,” Casanova said. “After each scene the tables will make their guess, a loose guess, until the end of the fifth scene when [they] make their final guess.”

Casanova said the table that guesses correctly will win a prize and if there is more than one winning table there will be a tie-breaker event. Formal attire is encouraged.

Cystic fibrosis is a progressive, genetic disease which causes persistent lung infections and limits the ability to breathe over time, according to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s website. Individuals with cystic fibrosis have a defective gene which causes a sticky build up of mucus.

The average life expectancy for someone living with cystic fibrosis in the United States and United Kingdom is 35 to 40 years, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Myla Burton, vice president of programming for Delta Phi Epsilon, said the event is a really great time with all kinds of different organizations attending, along with university faculty, students and the Carbondale community.

“We’re hoping for over 200 people is the goal,” Grace McKee vice president of operations, said. “We’ve had different families affected with cystic fibrosis still attend the dinner which is really great to see.”

All of the event’s proceeds will be donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Mckee said. Delta Phi Epsilon raises on average $10,000 for cystic fibrosis a year.

“Everything we make all goes towards cystic fibrosis so we don’t pocket anything from this at all,” McKee said.

Casanova said the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation was co-founded by Phyllis Kossoff, a sister from one of the sorority’s other chapters. One of Kossoff’s children had cystic fibrosis so she felt the need to create a foundation to help find a cure for it. There is still no cure today.

“Through the money raised with the foundation it has actually helped with research,” Casanova said. “Research towards a cure and towards making life more comfortable with people with cystic fibrosis.”

There will also be a silent auction featuring baskets donated by local business in Carbondale, Casanova said.

“I think that people should come because […] you get to have a good time while raising money for something that is close to our hearts,” Casanova said. “Also it is significant because it seems like we’re making a difference with the foundation and improving people’s lifespans.”

Staff reporter Austin Phelps can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @austinphelps96.