Southern falls to Indiana State in Homecoming game

Senior wide receiver Matt Quarells advances the ball during the Salukis’ 24-21 loss against the Indiana State Sycamores at Saluki Stadium, Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018. (Isabel Miller | @IsabelMillerDE)

By Adam Warfel, Sports Reporter

Southern (1-6, MVFC 0-4) fell to Indiana State (3-4, MVFC 1-3) in the Homecoming game 24-21.

“Every loss hurts the same,” junior safety Jeremy Chinn said. “It never gets better, you never want to get used to losing.”

The Salukis and Sycamores were looking for their first conference win.

Indiana State has won in their last three trips to Saluki Stadium in 2012, 2014 and 2016.

The average margin of victory in those three games is 15 points.

Indiana State has won five of the last six meetings between the two teams with the Salukis winning in Terre Haute in 2013 and 2017.

The Dawgs hold a 28-27 in the all-time series that dates all the way back to 1944.

A moment of silence followed by the playing of taps was held pregame to honor the memory of late chancellor Carlo Montemagno.

SIU scored first on a 12-play 84-yard drive consisting of only running plays giving them the lead 7-0.

The Sycamores responded with a ten-play drive of their own tying the score up at 7-7

A sack by sophomore defensive end Jordan Berner stopped the drive by Indiana State giving the Dawgs the ball back with one second left in the first quarter.

After an interception by senior quarterback Matt DeSomer of the Salukis, Southern defense responded by holding the Sycamores to a five-play six-yard drive.

DeSomer finished with 16 completions on 21 attempts and one interception with 135 rushing yards.

After the turnover by SIU in the red zone, Indiana State responded with a ten-play drive putting the Sycamores ahead 14-7 with 19 seconds left in the half.

The Salukis took a knee to end the first half leaving the Sycamores with the 14-7 lead heading into the half.

Indiana State received the kickoff to start the second half and they scored their third rushing touchdown of the day extending their lead 21-7.

Junior quarterback Ryan Boyle of the Sycamores broke off a 52-yard rush putting Indiana State at the SIU six-yard line.

Boyle finished with seven completions for 101 yards and had 156 rushing yards.

The Sycamores attempted a 21-yard field goal which was blocked by Chinn keeping the score at 21-7.

Chinn finished with seven tackles and one blocked field goal.

Indiana State kicked a 20-yard field goal after a fumble by Southern’s offense making their lead 24-7.

Southern attempted a 19-yard field goal which was kicked wide left and no good.

A pass from DeSomer to senior wide receiver Darrell James gave the Dawgs their first touchdown of the half, cutting Indiana State’s lead to 24-14.

An altercation occurred at the 25-yard line on the kickoff to the Sycamores which resulted in two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for Southern and one for Indiana State.

The Salukis blocked another field goal attempt by Indiana State keeping the score at 24-14 with 4:18 remaining in the fourth quarter.

“Anytime you block a kick it starts with effort,” head coach Nick Hill said. “There is never going to be just an easy one.”

On a six-play drive that ended in a 12-yard rush by senior running back Jonathan Mixon resulted in a touchdown for the Dawgs making the score 24-21 with 2:23 remaining in the game.

Mixon finished with 30 rushing yards and one touchdown.

An incompletion by DeSomer ended the game as the Salukis fell to the Sycamores in the Homecoming game.

“This program is not a 1-6 program,” Hill said. “We don’t have a bad team, but we’ve got to do better. You are what your record says you are.”

SIU will be seeking their first conference win next week as they play Missouri State. Southern will be at Missouri State next week with kickoff set for 2 p.m.

Sports reporter Adam Warfel can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @warfel_adam.

To stay up to date with all your Southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.