Protestors gather under impromptu shade as they sit and lay on the Morris Library lawn for their SIU divestment encampment April 30, 2024 at Morris Library in Carbondale, Illinois.
Protestors show solidarity with Palestine at start of SIU encampment
By Jamilah Lewis, Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

Editors Note: This article has been updated to add the official title of the meeting held at the Carbondale Public Library. Signs saying “FREE...

Zitlalli Tomas stands in her Quinceneara dress April 13, 2024, in Alto Pass, Illinois. (Deangelo Handley | @_deevisuals4)
La Mexicana offers a taste of diversity to the small town of Cobden
By Enan Chediak, Photographer • May 1, 2024

Cobden is a small town in Southern Illinois with a population of just more than 1,000 as of 2022. Despite a population of so few, Cobden boasts...

Image sourced from CAPS SIUC
CAPS training program prepares aspiring psychologists with hands-on experience
By Annalise Schmidt, Staff Reporter • May 1, 2024

SIU's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) training program is commemorating half a century of providing top-tier training in the field...

Hate speech and counter protest as “Brother Matt” heckles students

Campus+Police+talk+to+Brother+Matt+during+his+protest+Sept.+14th%2C+2023+in+Carbondale%2C+Illinois.+
Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography
Campus Police talk to Brother Matt during his protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois.

The hate-spewing evangelist “Brother Matt” was on SIU’s campus for what seems to be a yearly visit Thursday and this time, he was escorted away by police at the end of a two-hour confrontation with students. Brother Matt is known for hate-speech such as “gays are going to hell” and “women are the devil’s disciples.”

Campus police let him away from the scene around 2:30 p.m. but it’s unclear whether he was being removed forcibly or asked for an escort.

Below are images of the confrontation with counter-protesting students.

Student Zain holds a “Atheists For Peace” sign in front of Brother Matt while facing the crowd during the protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Maggie Koubenec holds a sign that reads “This guy is stupid, love one another. No hate” during the protest outside of Faner Hall Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Evangelist Brother Matt and Student Ka’liyah Radcliff debate against the crowd outside of Faner Hall Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois.
(Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Megan Blohm and Ka’liyah Radcliff debate back and forth during the protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Campus Police talk to Brother Matt during his protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. He was later escorted off campus. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Brother Matt looks amongst the crowd of students while spreading his beliefs. Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Brother Matt holds a sign that reads “God’s judgment is coming” Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)