Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

SIU chancellor, Austin Lane, poses for a portrait in his office on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.
SIU leadership gets bonuses, salary increases from Board of Trustees
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 11, 2024

Three proposals received approval by the SIU Board of Trustees regarding salary increases for university officials at the July 11th meeting. The...

Hate speech and counter protest as “Brother Matt” heckles students

Campus+Police+talk+to+Brother+Matt+during+his+protest+Sept.+14th%2C+2023+in+Carbondale%2C+Illinois.+
Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography
Campus Police talk to Brother Matt during his protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois.

The hate-spewing evangelist “Brother Matt” was on SIU’s campus for what seems to be a yearly visit Thursday and this time, he was escorted away by police at the end of a two-hour confrontation with students. Brother Matt is known for hate-speech such as “gays are going to hell” and “women are the devil’s disciples.”

Campus police let him away from the scene around 2:30 p.m. but it’s unclear whether he was being removed forcibly or asked for an escort.

Below are images of the confrontation with counter-protesting students.

Student Zain holds a “Atheists For Peace” sign in front of Brother Matt while facing the crowd during the protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Maggie Koubenec holds a sign that reads “This guy is stupid, love one another. No hate” during the protest outside of Faner Hall Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Evangelist Brother Matt and Student Ka’liyah Radcliff debate against the crowd outside of Faner Hall Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois.
(Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Megan Blohm and Ka’liyah Radcliff debate back and forth during the protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Campus Police talk to Brother Matt during his protest Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. He was later escorted off campus. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Brother Matt looks amongst the crowd of students while spreading his beliefs. Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)
Brother Matt holds a sign that reads “God’s judgment is coming” Sept. 14th, 2023 in Carbondale, Illinois. (Simeon Hardley |@simshardphotography)