Community fills backpacks, back to school essentials

By Stephanie Danner

As the school year approaches, the need for school supplies, backpacks and clothes has become the focus of many parents and students.

Area churches, businesses and schools have focused on this need and found a way to fill the gap for students who don’t have the supplies they need.

Hopewell Baptist Church hosted a “Back to School Bash” and gave away more than 400 backpacks filled with supplies, played games with the kids and had a barbeque, said senior pastor Christopher Swims.

Swims said Hopewell has been involved in helping students get supplies for 10 years, but this year was the first time the event coordinated with other area churches.

Hopewell partnered with The View, Lakeland Baptist, The Vine, New Birth Kingdom, Grace Presbyterian and Rockwell Baptist churches, as well as multiple organizations on campus in order to reach more children.

“Because of the support, God allowed us to bless so many children,” Swims said.

Brittany Allgaier, of Carbondale, a first grade teacher at Unity Christian School in Herrin, attended the event and said she was touched by how much people gave.

“It’s neat to see churches organize such a large event that helps kids in need, and it’s cool to see people give things away without expecting anything back,” she said. “I think it’s amazing that they are reaching out and touching kids within our community.”

Swims said the churches are already planning for next year by arranging contacts.

“We could have easily given away 1,000 backpacks,” Swims said. “We had to turn people away because the need was so great.”

With such a large need, others in the community have taken notice. Tony’s hair salon and The Promise in Marion are collecting and giving out backpacks filled with

The businesses provide a place for people to bring various school items, which they then give to an area school to distribute to children, Burns said.

“We donate school supplies to schools in Marion for children who don’t have any because of money,” Burns said. “I think it’s great for the kids because school supplies can get expensive. This way, students have more equality.”

Another organization, The Promise, also contributed to the need and gave away new shoes and 30 backpacks stuffed with school supplies to students located in the Marion area, said Peggy Maragni, co-founder of The Promise.

The community is an important part of getting the supplies needed for these students and people are encouraged to drop off school supplies and backpacks to various locations, Burns said.

Schools and other locations also accept donations of school supplies, and cash donations can be made directly to the United Way of Southern