Sexual assault reported in Neely Hall

By Kallie Cox, News Editor

An SIU student reported a sexual assault to police on Jan. 26, according to the SIU daily crime log. 

The incident occurred on Jan. 25 at Neely Hall and police have identified an 18-year-old SIU student who was acquainted with the victim as the suspect according to the crime log. 

DPS reported that the general area of the incident was Neely Hall and that a referral has been made. 

For some instances of sexual assault, in compliance with the Federal Clery Act SIU sends a mass email via their alert system when a possible sexual assault is reported on or near campus. While the university noted the incident in their crime log, they did not send out an alert about this incident to students. 

Chief of DPS Benjamin Newman said no alert was sent to students or staff because the incident was ruled not to be an ongoing threat to campus.

“The Department of Public Safety has internal processes, which often include consultation with legal counsel, to ensure that we are in compliance with the university’s responsibilities under the Clery Act,” Newman said. “The safety and security of campus is the top consideration in every decision we make.”

The university issued email alerts to students about sexual assaults that took place on campus on Sept. 3, 2019 and March 3, 2019.

News Editor Kallie Cox can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @KallieECox.