Students’ return energizes area businesses

By Seth Richardson

The city of Carbondale is about to receive a substantial economic boost from the wallets of university students.

The students’ return brings an influx of cash to the community to be spent at local establishments, in turn stimulating the economy. This year, the university will dole out nearly $19 million worth of financial aid refunds, according to the Saluki Times.

“Clearly every year when the university comes back into session, it breathes new life into Carbondale,” Lance Jack, owner of Fat Patties, said. “We’re a sleepy southern town in the summertime and it’s a great town. We’re a little busier when they come back in.”

Les O’Dell, Carbondale Chamber of Commerce executive director, said the importance of students on the local economy should not be understated.

“The return of students at the beginning of the fall semester is a huge boost for all of our businesses,” he said. “Obviously, when you add 50 to 60 percent to our population it’s just that much more opportunity for our businesses and companies to do business. So it’s a very exciting time for all of us in the Carbondale business community when the students return.”

The return of students is advantageous to the entire community, he said.

“The money students bring to town, whether they spend it on tuition and fees, or books, or rent, or living expenses or even our entertainment areas, that’s great revenue for our businesses, many of which are locally owned,” he said. “So those dollars that are spent by students circulate in the community. The impact of SIU on the region as a whole is just huge.”

Dominique Weathersby, manager of Quatro’s Pizza, agreed the inflow of students is a huge benefit to southern Illinois’ economic viability, allowing for increased business and hiring.

“When the students return for the first two weeks, we see about $3000 to $5000 extra per week,” Weathersby said. “Once the school year gets going, it’s consistently $3000 more than what we do in the summer.”

Carbondale bars also see a large increase in revenue. Bryan Woodruff, manager of Sidetracks Bar on the strip, said the students’ return marks a positive effect for the business as a whole.

“We’re always glad to have the college students back in town,” he said. “Business increases immensely and it means more shifts for our employees. Summer is a nice time to relax, but everyone likes it when we start making good money again.”

Student spending affects the average workers of Carbondale as well. Quatro’s waitress Julie Greer said kids have a major influence on her income.

“It means more business,” Greer said. “I make about 30 percent more when the students are here.”

Students who receive aid are just as excited to get their refund so that they can begin spending. Bruce Mehr, a sophomore from Decatur studying integrated marketing and communications, said the money couldn’t come soon enough.

“I’m excited to get my refund check,” he said. “I’m in need of a new computer so that’s going to help a lot. I might buy a new television and a couple nice dinners as well.”

Jarret Baber, a senior from Monmouth studying political science and criminal justice, said he was elated to finally have some spending money.

“I bought an iPad already,” he said. “It’s nice to just have a comfortable amount of money that I can spend around town.”