Night of the Living Dawg: A zombie 5K

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

Get ready to fear for your life with a spooky Halloween race hosted by the SIU Student Recreation Center’s first Night of the Living Dawg Zombie 5K.

The Night of the Living Dawg Zombie 5K will take place on Oct. 26. Registration will be from 3 p.m. until 4:15 p.m. The race begins 15 minutes after registration ends.

Runners will race across a course with zombies along their path to try to distract them. The runners are given two football flags to wear while they run, and the zombies will try to remove their flags.

The Recreation Center is offering free face makeup to the people who are going to be zombies in the race, if they choose to use it.

“The rules are still the same because the runners are still going to be running a 5K,” Savanna Ashbaugh, fitness coordinator, said. “The only obstacle is still having their flags attached to their flag football belt.”

The proceeds from the race will go to benefit the Saluki Strength Breast Cancer Scholarship.

See more: How SIU is helping students affected by breast cancer)

“The scholarship is awarded to a person or persons who apply for it; the criteria being that they themselves or someone in their family has had breast cancer and that it has impacted their lives,” said Sally Wright, associate director of the SIU Recreational Center. “The month of October is a month of fundraising for that scholarship fund.”

The race will start and end in the same spot on Grand Avenue and cover a large part of the campus.

The prizes that the runners are eligible to win are a Yeti Roadie 20, Yeti Hopper Flip 8 and a Yeti Camino Carryall 35. The top three female survivors and the top three male survivors will each receive a prize.

A survivor is classified as anyone with at least one flag on their belt who crosses the finish line.

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @BethanyRentfro.