SIU’s 150 homecoming displays Saluki pride

By Grace Schneider, Staff Reporter

Southern Illinois University will be hosting homecoming during the week of Oct. 14, featuring several contests and events leading up to the homecoming game on Saturday, Oct. 19. This year’s theme centers around the university’s 150th anniversary.

Monday 

The first events of the week on Monday will be the Official Homecoming Kick off and the Official Homecoming Proclamation. The kickoff will take place from 11 a.m. – 1p.m. at Faner Plaza while Carbondale’s mayor and the Interim Chancellor John Dunn will officially proclaim the start to SIU Homecoming Week at 11:50 a.m. at the north entrance of the student center; both events are open to the public. 

Tuesday 

Tuesday night will feature Campus Lake Nite and Movie Night at Morris. Campus Lake Nite will take place at SIU’s campus lake and be hosting a volleyball tournament from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

In recognition of SIU’s 150 anniversary, Morris Library will be showing historic short films about SIU from 6 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. in Guyon Auditorium.

Wednesday 

The American Cross Blood Drive will be hosted on Oct. 16 from 12 p.m – 6 p.m. in the Student Center, which is open to the public’s participation. 

There will be a Homecoming Comedy Show featuring Corey Bell and Felonious Monk at the Student Center Ballrooms at 7 p.m. with free admission for the community.

Thursday

Oct.17 will highlight the Alumni Plaza Groundbreaking Ceremony at 11 a.m. at the Future Plaza Site between Pulliam and Woody Hall.

Later in the night the 150 Block Party will be held at Lincoln Drive in front of Pulliam Hall. The party will take place from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. and will be hosting a DJ, rides, caricature artists, a rock wall and more to celebrate. The party is open to the community.

Friday 

Oct. 18 is a day full of activities, including the Homecoming Pep Rally in Faner Plaza between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., the Saluki volleyball game in Davies Gym at 6 p.m., the Alpha Phi Alpha Step show in Shryock Auditorium at 7 p.m. and the Saluki soccer game at Lew Hartzog Track and Field Complex at 7 p.m., all open to the community. 

Friday will have several reunions and socials for SIU alumni, such as the 50-year reunion, band group reunion and Saluki Veterans group social.

Saturday

To finish out the week, the homecoming parade will be taking place at 10 a.m. on Oct. 19, and the Saluki Tailgate will be taking place directly after from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Saluki Row. 

The homecoming game against Youngstown State will take place at 2 p.m. at Saluki Stadium and will have the homecoming king and queen announcement at halftime. 

The Alumni Center grand opening will be at 6 p.m. at Woody Hall to close out homecoming week.

For further information, visit homecoming.siu.edu.

Staff reporter Grace Schneider can be reached at [email protected].