You need a yes before you undress- Omega Delta Phi hosts ‘Consent is Sexy’ workshop

By Jacob Lorenz, Staff Reporter

Before you have sex, you need a clear, enthusiastic, willing yes. Fraternity Omega Delta Phi knows what’s up and will be hosting the ‘Consent is Sexy’ workshop in the Mackinaw room of the Student Center from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday Aug. 27.

The workshop is designed to help people talk and ask about informed consent, an active agreement between two people before having sex, while also taking the awkwardness out of the equation. 

The workshop will provide people with the knowledge, skills and support they need to be able to talk about sexual consent. 

The Consent is Sexy workshop is created and presented by the SIU Wellness Center. 

“Our presentations are created individually, and it just depends on what the requester needs,” Rebecca Gonnering, a Confidential Advisor at the Wellness Center, said.

Gonnering said if the Wellness Center doesn’t have a presentation already made for a specific topic, then the staff will make a new one. 

Jawon Mayberry, a senior studying Information Systems Technology and president of Omega Delta Phi, said he specifically signed up his fraternity for the workshop. 

“We just want people to understand that it’s not all fraternities that hold this stigma,” Mayberry said. “We want to bring it home here in southern Illinois, and let everyone know that consent is there.” 

Mayberry said he doesn’t want this valuable information to be missed, so they are trying to seek out the southern Illinois community and get them as interactive as possible while learning about consent. 

There will be other members of Omega Delta Phi attending the workshop. 

Mayberry said he expects a lot feedback and questions about consent in tandem with the Greek community from the workshop. 

This isn’t the first time Omega Delta Phi has done a workshop. Mayberry said they’ve done other workshops about alcohol and mental health, but typically focus on community service. 

Mayberry personally requested his fraternity to host the presentation. To request a workshop is as easy as going to the SIU Wellness Center website and filling out their form. 

The Wellness Center is able to accommodate for different types of situations. They can hold workshops in the Student Center, give presentations in class, or in dorms. 

“I want students who are involved in organizations, around campus, to know that they can request presentations,” Gonnering said.

Staff reporter Jacob Lorenz can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @jtlorenz6.