Ring Chase Complete: Southern Women’s Golf wins 2019 MVC Championship

By Adam Warfel, Sports Editor

CHESTERTON, Ind. – The SIU Women’s Golf Team began their chase for a Missouri Valley Conference Monday in search of their first MVC title since 2007 – the chase came to a close today as the team won the 2019 MVC Women’s Golf Championship.

In a poll voted on by the coaches which was released on Friday the Salukis were selected to finish third in the tournament, hosted by Valparaiso University, behind both Missouri State and Bradley.

In the fall preview Southern finished fourth in the tournament behind Illinois State.

“I’m confident in this team,” SIU head coach Danielle Kaufman said. “We have prepared all week. As long as we maintain our confidence and mental toughness, I have no doubt we can win this.”

The field consisted of 10 teams across the Missouri Valley conference competing at the Sand Creek Country Club in Indiana

The tournament was shortened due to weather concerns, but SIU stood in second after two rounds of play on Monday, just one stroke behind Drake.

Both Drake and Southern traded leads back and forth for the majority of the first day of the tournament.

The entirety of Southern’s team finished in the top 20 individually. Junior Lili Klekner-Alt finished day one tied for fifth place.

Sophomore Moyea Russell finished tied for 11th with sophomore Emilyee McGiles, graduate student Jackie Biggs and junior Erica Kerr all tied for 16th.

Southern came out strong in day two of the event to record a final round score of 306, for a three round total of 905.

Northern Iowa came in second behind the Salukis with a score total of 912, seven strokes behind SIU.

Klekner-Alt finished in a tie for fifth with a score total of 226, McGiles and Russel both finished tied for eighth with a score 0f 227.

Kerr finished tied for 12th with a score of 229, Biggs rounded out the team tied for 19th with a score of 232.

Adam Warfel, Sports Editor, can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @warfel_adam.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.