Newcomers bring hard work to Saluki basketball

By Symone Woolridge

Leaving the only place you called home can cause mixed emotions. Even walking across campus for the first time has an effect on some students.

However, four freshmen on the women’s basketball team have transitioned from high school not only becoming college freshmen, but also Saluki athletes.

The freshmen have been adjusting parts of their game to prepare themselves for college basketball and have been working with upperclassmen since July.

Freshman forward Kim Nebo from Katy, Texas said she is enjoying her freshman experience. Nebo has been playing basketball since childhood where she would shoot around with the boys; as she got older, she went on to play four years of varsity basketball at Cypress Lakes High School.

“This is my first year being in Illinois,” she said. “ Some people have a big problem with being away from family, but I actually like it.”

Although Nebo enjoys her space, she continues to speak with her family daily. Nebo said her family has pushed her to continue playing sports, helping her work hard on the court.

“I just want to learn the things that are [required] and get better,” Nebo said. “I want to be able to listen to what coach wants me to do and actually do it.”

Newcomers Kiley Gorski, Brandi Harrington and Carlie Corrigan have been preparing themselves for college basketball as well.

Corrigan is a shooting guard from Plainfield who averaged nearly 19 points per game. As a senior, she scored a school-record 43 points in a game.

Since she has been working out with the Salukis, Corrigan has been focusing on getting stronger and improving her shot release.

“Our team is very strong and they can lift a lot of weight,” she said. “In order to run with them I have to strengthen myself.”

Junior guard Cartaesha Macklin has been helping the freshmen in any way she can. For the last two years, Macklin has been an Honorable Mention All-Missouri Valley Conference team and last season she averaged 15 points per game.

Macklin said the newcomers are always ready to work.

“Nebo is very strong,” she said. “Carlie is doing a great job of moving around and knowing the offense.”

Although sometimes college freshman may be considered the outsiders of a team made up of members who have worked together, Macklin said they are meshing well with the older players.

“Freshmen always have their own bond within each other since they live together,” Macklin said. “But we always try and get them involved in everything we do.”

Macklin said team members laugh and joke together off the court, but they can easily change to a serious professional attitude when it is time to work. The freshmen are not the only addition to the women’s basketball team this year — the Salukis have also welcomed new head coach Cindy Stein.

“Coach does a good job of keeping us in line on the court,” Macklin said. “She expects nothing but the best from us and I just love that.”

Stein was officially named head coach in April 2013 ending her coaching career at Illinois Central College, where her Cougars went 32-4 last season.

As this is her first time working with the team, Stein said the players have been a pleasure. Stein has coached at other schools for nearly two decades, but she is ready for this year and excited about what the 2013-2014 season will bring.

“These are just a good group of kids,” Stein said. “I try to put the best defenders out there who have the ability to score.”

Stein places her freshmen players with upperclassmen as guidance. The upperclassmen have been helping the freshman adapt to the way Saluki basketball is played.

“The biggest thing right now is just making sure that I’m putting them with older people that are experienced and know what they’re doing,” she said.

Last season the Salukis went 5-26 overall, but Stein hopes to lift the Salukis to a well-played season this year. Stein’s focus is to help the team progress on the essential tools that lead to wins, she said.

“You’re trying to outscore your opponent and take care of the ball because those things are what lead to success during the year,” Stein said.

The Salukis open with their first game against Maryville on Friday, Oct. 25.