Kleinau compiles and preaches ‘Gospel’

Kleinau compiles and preaches ‘Gospel

By Jake Saunder

Creativity soon will collide with the natural life at the Kleinau.

Andrea Baldwin, the publicity director at the Kleinau Theatre, has written, compiled and will be co-directing the newest performance, “The Gospel According to Crag.”

“This show is about the act of desire, or the want of something, what goes through our bodies, what goes through our minds when we want something and it’s told through the story of Diamonds and Salt, in ways that you would think, and ways that you don’t,” Baldwin, a graduate student in speech communication, said.

The show is of various inspirational sources. Among them is “Salt: A World History” by Mark Kurlansky, which tells the story of the baseness of salt in its grandeur — how it is the only rock which we eat and digest, a trading commodity that has passed its tests in time and has become equally as important as diamonds.

“That’s the idea of how diamonds and salt come together, as they are both rocks that we consume and for different reasons,” she said. “Another part of the show is largely inspired by the motion picture “O Brother Where Art Thou?” so it’s a revival and rustic type feel.”

The show itself is presented through various elements on the periodic table, which are embodied by the cast of characters. They are the elements essential in their functions within life in relation to the human being.

“(The show) talks about human relationships and how when we are compounded with others, we make different things. Another element…is the gospel, so it is music based and its very Southern Gothic,” she said. “Desire is always connected with the spirit and the show explores how that could or could not happen.”

The cast of characters includes Carbon, Chlorine, Sodium, Oxygen and Zirconium.

“I play Sodium in the play, and he is kind of the very base-grounding and very ‘Zen’ member of the cast. He adds a very direct and very centered point of view on a lot of the issues presented in the show,” said Lloyd Coakley, an undergraduate from Belleville studying anthropology.

The show consists of a great compilation of features ranging from scenes of comedic or dramatic compilation through prosaic texts, ingrained with bits of poetry and granules of rhythmical melodies throughout.

“What initially interested me was the difference between what I have done in the past and what was going on here,” Coakley said. “I was very familiar with the traditional style of production, of much smaller space — and the way that this show is written and the way it is performed is much more organic. There’s a lot less prop and a lot more usage of your body and I think that really affects the way the show presents itself.”

As the set is minimalist, Baldwin sought to focus on the inner workings of the show. She sifted through resources and found reinforcement through friend Olivia Perez-Langley, a graduate student in speech communication from Texas and the co-director of “Crag”.

“We have been working together in performance for eight years, but this is the first time we’ve ever directed together,” she said.

Perez-Langley was tasked with gathering the molecular façade of the production and presenting it in coalesced granules of a pure and clean aesthetic, with the embodiment of characteristics to remain true to the text.

“The Gospel According to Crag” will be performed at the Kleinau Nov. 14 through Nov16. The doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and the show will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students with an I.D. or $7 general admission.