Illinois House passes bill requiring schools to include LGBTQ individuals in curriculum

By Brandi Courtois, Staff Writer

SPRINGFIELD- The Illinois House passed a bill Wednesday which would require public schools to include lessons on prominent LGBTQ figures in history.

House Bill 246, also called the Inclusive Curriculum bill, would go into effect July 1, 2020.

The bill references the textbook block grant program and requires textbooks purchased must include the roles and contributions of all people protected under the Illinois Human Rights Act and must be non-discriminatory.

The bill passed 60-42 and will now go through the Illinois Senate. Illinois would be the third state to adopt such a law, according to a news release from Equality Illinois Media.

State Rep. Anna Moeller (D-Elgin) sponsored the bill. She said in the release that she was proud to work with Equality Illinois to pass the Inclusive Curriculum Bill in the house

“This legislation will ensure that our schools are providing a more comprehensive and accurate teaching of history and creates a more welcoming, tolerant, and safe environment for all of our students in Illinois,” Moeller said. “It also affirms the dignity and contributions of LGBTQ individuals and the movements that have shaped the world we live in today.”

Inclusion of people of color, women, immigrant communities, and people with disabilities is currently ensured under the Illinois School Code.

(See more: Students speak about LGBTQ identities)

In the release, Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, said an inclusive history will affirm for LGBTQ+ students that people like them existed and made significant contributions to society.

“This inclusive history will also benefit non-LGBTQ students, who would be taught the whole story about the achievements of LGBTQ people and the historical events that impacted all of us,” Johnson said. 

Staff writer Brandi Courtois can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Brandi_Courtois.