Desert duty: Saluki Golf finishes 14th in Desert Intercollegiate

By Adam Warfel, Sports Editor

The Southern men’s golf team competed in the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate over the weekend in Palm Desert California.

The tournament consisted of three rounds with two rounds on Saturday and the final round finishing up today.

The Salukis ended their play on Saturday in 19th place in the field of 21 teams, being ten strokes away from being a top ten team.

After the final round on Sunday the Dawgs climbed up to 14th place as a team after hitting to a score of 293 in the third round.

The score improved across each round for SIU as they opened the first round with a 313, then shot for 298, and 293.

Freshman Matthis Besard led the team finishing in a tie for 29th with a score of 221, senior Luke Gannon followed him tied for 52nd, then senior Peyton Wilhoit tied for 62nd.

Junior Sean Mullan and freshman Markus Wilhelmsen  finished out the rest of the Saluki squad tied for 86th and tied for 107th respectively.

Southern will tee of next at the South Florida Invitational March 11th and 12th in Tampa, Florida.

Sports editor Adam Warfel can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @warfel_adam.