Daily Egyptian

Spring 2019: SIU Carbondale on-campus enrollment drops under 10,000

Pulliam+Hall+is+reflected+in+a+puddle+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+20%2C+2019%2C+outside+of+Pulliam+Hall+in+Carbondale%2C+Illinois.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Pulliam Hall is reflected in a puddle on Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2019, outside of Pulliam Hall in Carbondale, Illinois.

Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz

Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz

Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz

By Staff Report, News Desk

SIU Carbondale’s total spring enrollment is down 11.63 percent – or 1552 students – compared to Spring 2018 enrollment.

“SIU spring enrollment aligns with fall as is typical,” university spokeswoman Rae Goldsmith said. “The percentage is slightly better than fall’s decline of 11.96 percent.”

Goldsmith said percentage changes from spring to fall are always fairly close, because most new students start in fall and continue in spring. She said the 11.63 percent decline is not an additional decline but simply reflects Fall’s enrollment numbers.

“Total spring enrollment is always lower than fall in part because some students graduate in December,” Goldsmith said.

There were 1,253 graduates during the Fall 2018 semester, according to data retrieved from the SIU Registrar’s Office and provided by Jennifer DeHaemers, Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management.

9,770 students are taking classes on the Carbondale campus in the Spring 2019 semester, according to data provided by DeHaemers. 10,698 students were enrolled on-campus during the Fall 2018 semester.

On-campus enrollment looks at the amount of students taking classes at the Carbondale campus. Total enrollment looks at students enrolled on the Carbondale campus as well as students taking classes online and in remote locations, such as military bases.

On-campus students for the Spring 19 semester, are broken down into 7,089 undergraduate students, 2,092 graduate students, 257 law students, 286 medical students and 46 students who are unclassified, which are generally not degree seeking, according to the data.

Enrollment has seen a decline in the recent past, 12,632 students enrolled in on-campus classes during the Spring 2017 semester and 11,288 students enrolled on-campus during the Spring 2018 semester.

Comparatively, 12,617 students are taking classes on the Edwardsville campus this semester, according to data provided by Doug Mcllhaga, SIUE spokesman.

SIU Edwardsville saw a 2.7 percent decline, or a decline of 359 students, in on-campus student enrollment compared to the Spring 2018 semester.

“The overall enrollment decline is due to the cumulative effect of enrolling 15 percent fewer new Illinois freshmen and 15 percent fewer Illinois transfers since achieving record overall enrollment in fall 2015,” said Scott Belobrajdic, SIUE associate vice chancellor for enrollment management.

The Daily Egyptian’s News Desk can be reached at 1-618-536-3397, by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at @dailyegyptian.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Spring 2019: SIU Carbondale on-campus enrollment drops under 10,000”

1. Tom Whittington on February 20th, 2019 3:45 pm

What about transfer students. Spring enrollment should be up if we are getting transfer students. The University needs to take a close look at the management in the enrollment areas. We need a new mindset in the Registrar and Transfer departments.

2. Gary Book ‘70 on February 20th, 2019 4:35 pm

Has anyone done a solid study on why students are not coming to SIUC? Budget mess, a view of safety in CDale, and many other possible reasons? It took decades to build a good reputation and a couple of years to destroy that reputation. Very sad.

3. Chris on February 22nd, 2019 4:36 pm

EIU is down to only 3,800 on campus students, WIU is down 14% this year. NIU is down. ISU is down. This is not a problem unique to the Carbondale campus, rather a combination of declining state population and tuitions that have skyrocketed, making out of state universities a better value for Illinois high school graduates.

4. Tony Williams on February 22nd, 2019 10:54 pm

And we still have a huge amount of sic-figure administrators while student numbers drop as well as an interim Chancellor who still thinks it is “Southern at 150”!

5. DPH on February 22nd, 2019 11:53 pm

Responding to Gary, an unspoken factor in said combination may be that better and best performing students don’t want to learn in classes with poor performing students, and they don’t want their degrees from universities with low performing students. It’s a severe problem at SIUC.

6. Dan on February 23rd, 2019 6:51 pm

Chris, I am an SIU grad and employee at ISU. ISU is down less than 200 students this year and has been between 20000-21000 students for the 15 years I’ve been here. As sad as it makes me to see what has happened at SIU (25K students when I was there) this is not a problem at all state schools. Certainly most, but not ISU and UIUC.

7. Susan R Schroeder on April 11th, 2019 8:59 am

This hearts my heart to see this great institution fall so HARD!!! What the heck happened??? I went to school there from 1975-1979 and the student population was almost equal to the population in Carbondale. This is a “BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS” w/ many outdoor activities, a nice local flavor, etc. Was this bad administrative management ?? What is going on?? The student population is LESS than HALF of what it was when I was there. There is definitely something going on concerning the higher levels of those administrating this school–they are in charge of it”s fate–and I’m sickened to see how they’ve cared for the GEM they had!!!!

8. Mom of Twin Teens on April 15th, 2019 11:06 pm

We plan to visit Carbondale on Good Friday for an Open House after visiting U of I today. Personally, I HATED the atmosphere of U of I!!! It’s like a mini-Chicago, with all the skyscrapers towering all over the place! UGHH, definitely not the atmosphere I would have envisioned for my teens who will be going to college in the fall. It was crazy, chaotic, and you can’t get around anywhere without needing to hop a bus! I am really hoping that SIU Carbondale will be a refreshing change of pace, and I like the fact already that it is surrounded by the Shawnee National Forest and has a much more manageable enrollment of 10,000 vs. 35,000 and now even your own personal dorm room! Whatever is going on at SIUC, it needs to be addressed because people like me & my teens WANT this school to survive & thrive. Not everyone wants the crazy-big university campus atmosphere. But let’s get to the bottom of what’s causing the decline, and if that means ousting some of the administrators then so be it. Wishing all the best for this school in the future!

9. Eric on April 24th, 2019 3:34 pm

Urbana is up to 47,000 students after having set an enrollment record for the 7th consecutive year. I think that’s where SIU’s students are. I graduated from SIUC in 1999 and declining enrollment was a topic back then. I loved my time at SIU and I love Southern Illinois…certainly better than the cornfields that surround Urbana. So it is sad to check in on my alma mater and see this. I’ve talked with people in the community who believe SIUC will be nothing more than a community college in a decade’s time. I hope they can do something to save the wonderful campus and town but I fear they are taking the same lackadaisical attitude they took when enrollment began declining in the 1990s.

10. ANDREW on April 30th, 2019 5:29 pm

Every time I read about a reduction in student population, which has been happening regularly, the reaction from administration has been universally the same: “oh yeah, that drop was to be expected. We’re not surprised.” Wait. Where is the concern? The urgency? So when population drops to 5,000 will they still be yawning the same “oh yeah, we knew that was coming. That’s normal.” Seems to me the leaders at this institution appear paralyzed by their uncertainty over what to do.

11. John Carson on May 2nd, 2019 2:51 pm

Where is the bottom? SIU is like a crashing stock. It will be a penny stock soon!

12. Glenn Meinhardt on May 9th, 2019 4:45 pm

“…since achieving overall record enrollment in 2015”. Is he kidding? Oh, maybe he meant record LOW? Enrollment was over 20,000 when I was there in the nineties. I think as high as 25,000.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of Southern Illinois University