SIU offers single rooms for price of doubles, plans to reopen Neely and Mae Smith

Neely+Hall+on+Tuesday%2C+May+8%2C+2018%2C+at+Southern+Illinois+University+in+Carbondale%2C+Illinois.+

Brian Munoz

Neely Hall on Tuesday, May 8, 2018, at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois.

By Staff Report, News Desk

SIU Housing announced they will be offering all students living in University Housing residence halls the option to live on their own, for no additional cost, according to an email sent to students Thursday.

“Traditionally, two SIU students have shared a residence hall room,” the university said on the housing website. “With this new initiative, two students will share a suite; two rooms adjoined by a bathroom. This added luxury will be provided at no additional cost […] you’ll get a private room at the traditional double room rate.”

The university says they are in a unique situation to provide something that other schools cannot.

“Offering single rooms for all residence hall students makes being a Saluki all that more unique and special,” the university said. “University Housing will continue to offer this great perk as long as space will permit.”

Housing said they plan to house on-campus residents at Thompson Point and plan on reopening Neely Hall and Mae Smith Hall. Both Lentz and Trueblood dining halls will also be used.

The iconic towers, consisting of three 1960s-era high rises, were closed in 2018 after a continued decline in enrollment at the university.

Late chancellor Carlo Montemagno said the decline in enrollment made the move possible, but the change was pushed to build engagement and enhance the university’s retention rate, according to the release.

“As we rebuild enrollment in the years ahead, we will always have the option of having students on both sides of campus again,” Montemagno said in March 2018. “For now, we can best serve students by making sure that they are part of a vibrant and active community.”

Location of designated Living Learning Communities will be moved and students that have already contracted living arrangements may have to select new rooms, according to the release. Students who have requested to live with a roommate will be paired together as suitemates.

The Daily Egyptian’s news desk can be reached at 618-536-3397 or [email protected].