New agreement with Kaskaskia College will make transfers to SIU easier

By Brandi Courtois, Staff Reporter

Kaskaskia College and Southern Illinois University have partnered on a new agreement that will make transfers easier for some students with associate’s degrees.

The agreement covers four areas of study and allows students to carry over previously earned credits to SIU, according to a university press release.

Incoming students from Kaskaskia’s speech program would enter as students in communication studies; community college students from the welding technology program and industrial technology program would transfer into industrial management and applied engineering at SIU, according to the release. Music education students from Kaskaskia would also be accepted into SIU School of Music’s music education program. 

“SIU Carbondale is very pleased to be partnering with Kaskaskia College on these new agreements,” said Jennifer DeHaemers, associate chancellor of enrollment management. “This partnership, which provides another pathway to career readiness and advancement, is really important to both institutions as well as the students.”

Similar agreements already exist between SIU and Kaskaskia for other programs.

“It’s agreements like these that provide stronger and more efficient learning avenues for the students in our district,” said George Evans, dean of career and technical education at Kaskaskia College, in a 2017 press release about a previous agreement between the universities.

Staff Reporter Brandi Courtois can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @CourtoisBrandi. 

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news,  follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.