Neely Hall will be open for housing contracts in fall 2019

By Staff Report, Campus Desk

Students can contract to live in Neely Hall or Thompson Point starting in the fall 2019 semester, according to an email sent from SIU Housing to returning students.

“Contract for fall 2019/spring 2020 and choose an available space in Neely Hall or Thompson Point.  Some spaces are based on eligibility determined by majors or other LLC requirements,” the email said.

The email said all housing areas have single rooms available but there’s a limited amount.

The email did not have any mention of University Hall. It is unclear at this time if this means University Hall will close down.

As of fall 2018 the East Campus Housing towers, including Neely Hall, have been closed down.

At the time Chancellor Carlo Montemagno said in a press release that by bringing students together in Thompson Point, the university can continue to build a tightly knit, engaged community.

“It will also increase traffic to our Student Center, which should be a centerpiece of campus life,” Montemagno said.

In the press release, Montemagno said the decline in enrollment made the move possible, but the change was pushed to build engagement and enhance the university’s retention rate.

The Daily Egyptian can be reached at [email protected].