Family fun on Family Weekend — here are the events

By Austin Phelps, Staff Reporter

Family weekend is right around the corner and if you’re still not sure how to spend these long three days don’t worry! There are a plethora of activities planned to make sure your family weekend is one to remember.

Family weekend starts Friday, Sept. 28 and ends on Sunday, Sept. 30.

Rec Center

The student recreation center will be open and has free admission to all families for all three days.

If you’re feeling adventurous there will also be rock climbing available for families starting at 6 p.m. Rock climbing will also take place on Saturday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

If you’re sore from that, Family Yoga will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday. It’s a beginner’s class and all equipment will be provided. Wear loose comfortable clothing and attendees must be aged 10 or older.

Student Center

On Friday there will be a craft sale on the first floor from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. which also repeats on Saturday.

Raku pottery firing will start at 10 a.m. Saturday at the South Patio. You can glaze your own work, which costs $5 to $45.

Saluki Comic Con will happen on both Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Families and students will also be able to pick up their pre-ordered Comic Con tickets and packet at the student center on Friday.

Comic Con will feature special guest speakers, gaming and a cosplay contest that will take place on Sunday.

If none of these events seem like a fit to you and your family, you can always play it safe and go bowling.

Shryock Auditorium

The 83rd Annual Greek Sing will take place at Shryock Auditorium from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Join fraternities and sororities as they sing and dance!

Saluki Stadium

Friday night ends with a showing of Incredibles 2 at 7 p.m. in the Saluki Stadium. In case of rain the location will be moved to the Student Center Auditorium. There will also be a showing on Saturday night at 6 p.m. at the same location.

Saturday night ends with Saluki Football playing South Dakota at the Saluki Stadium. Kick-off is at 6 p.m.

Family Weekend ends on Sunday with a Family Weekend Brunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lentz Dining Hall.

Staff reporter Austin Phelps can be reached at aphelps@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @austinphelps96.