Intramurals provide multiple opportunities for students

By Tyler Davis

With more than 100 games covered in a semester, the sport clubs and intramurals at SIU have made a name for themselves.

“I’ve developed friendships throughout intramural sports that I have maintained for life,” Shane Bennett, assistant director of intramural sports/sports clubs, said.

Through intramurals, students have showcased talents, traveled, held well-paying jobs and met new people from all over the country, Bennett said.

Jake Jones, a senior from Zion studying marketing, said it has been more than just a break from classes.

“[My] first encounter with intramural sports was playing four-on-four flag football,” Jones said. “They have seven-on-seven leagues, like in high school, for the fall and four-on-four for the spring. After a few games, I found out that I could apply to become a referee so I continued playing and began officiating as well.”

Officiating has allowed students to travel to schools like the University of Georgia, Ohio State University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Notre Dame. Bennett said officiating is one of his favorite aspects of intramurals.

“As far as officiating goes, I started working intramural sports and started officiating in the surrounding communities,” he said. “I’ve actually grown through the ranks of high school and now Division II college football and college basketball, and it all started with working intramural sports. You listen to a lot of big time referees, a lot of them say they started through intramural sports.”

Michael Ingram, an alumnus and former Division I baseball player for SIU and student coordinator for officials, said club sports and intramurals have dramatically altered his college experience on and off the court.

“To be a good official, you have to have great communication and conflict resolution skills,” Ingram said. “These and other skills you learn and refine by officiating are transferrable to nearly every job across every industry. Officiating also teaches confidence in the face of doubt and teaches you how to show strength while being challenged.”

Anna Marquez, a freshman from Chicago studying psychology, said the confidence intramurals gives you, either by playing or officiating, can span genders.

“If you’re a girl who likes sports, watching sports or playing sports, then participating in intramural sports is just as much fun,” Marquez said. “And, as a girl, I’d have to say you have to be confident, you can’t be nervous. It could be a challenge but it’s good to get a chance to prove yourself.”

Taylor Willer, a junior official from Wentzville, Mo. studying dental hygiene, said intramurals are competitive but maintain a good work environment for female participants.

“Working here overall has been great because I know in the world of officiating it can be very sexist towards women,” Willer said. “But here I feel as if they treat everyone helpful. It is very helpful when you have to go out in the community and officiate.”

Willer supervises and helps coordinate all sports for the intramural office. She has also won a flag football championship through intramurals and now referees in her hometown.

“I officiate at home in Missouri, and it was good to start here,” Willer said. “When I started volleyball it really helped boost my confidence and helps me block out anything that would put me off as unequal, which is a huge thing for all girls.”

Intramural sports have already tipped off for the spring semester. Enrollment for basketball and futsal — a type of indoor soccer — has passed and games start next week. Softball and four-on-four flag football are gearing up to begin later in the semester and are open to all students.

Ingram said intramural sports provide chances for anyone looking to meet new people, find a job or just get active.

“There are very high quality intramural teams and there are a lot of players who played high school sports but the general feeling is much more loose and relaxed,” Ingram said. “Just join, you cannot have anything other than a fantastic experience. Intramurals bring together friends and strangers in a friendly, sports-centered environment.”

Tyler Davis can be reached at [email protected] or Twitter @tdavis_DE