Daily Egyptian named finalist in top online college newspaper competition

The Daily Egyptian’s homepage (www.dailyegyptian.com), Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018.

By Staff Report

The Daily Egyptian is one of 24 national finalists for the 2018 Online Pacemaker award,  the Associated Collegiate Press announced Tuesday afternoon.

“The Pacemaker is the association’s preeminent award and is often called the Pulitzer Prize of collegiate journalism,” said Laura Widmer, ACP Executive Director. “ACP is honored to recognize the best of the best.”

The ACP received approximately 100 overall entries from colleges and universities across the country, according to a news release from the ACP.

The Daily Egyptian was named a finalist and a winner of the Online Pacemaker award in 2017. 

To select the finalists, professionals — including professors and current digital media professionals — analyzed each entry in categories based on student enrollment. 

“I’m incredibly proud of our staff for being nominated for this award after winning it this past year,” Reagan Gavin, Daily Egyptian Editor-In-Chief said. “It’s important to have a strong online presence in this age of digital media — this nomination shows that the Daily Egyptian strives to continue our efforts in being a leader in student media.”

Eric Fidler, Daily Egyptian faculty managing editor, said being named a finalist for the second year in a row is due to the dedication of the staff.

“It’s the work the staff of this small-but-mighty news organization does that puts us in this position again,” Fidler said. “I am constantly impressed by what these students do — they consistently punch above our weight class.”

Deborah Tudor, Interim Dean for the College of Mass Communications and Media Arts, said that she is excited with the ACP’s recognition of the Daily Egyptian.

“This is a very prestigious honor, and the DE’s accomplishment speaks to the richness and quality of the staff’s online journalistic practice,” Tudor said. “I’m very proud to work with such fine young colleagues.”

The selected finalists represent 16 states and the District of Columbia.

“Today’s best online sites are platforms for rich multimedia storytelling,” said Gary Lundgren, Associate Director and Coordinator of the Pacemaker competition. “Deep and diverse coverage with strong engagement and interactivity distinguish the best student-produced sites.”

The print and online Pacemaker winners will be announced this October at the ACP/CMA National College Media Convention in Louisville, Kentucky.

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-536-3397 or [email protected].