VITAL program aids in vet-integration

By Adie Applegate

One appointment added to a student veteran’s busy schedule could change their life for the better.

The student veteran center offers the Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership program, more commonly known as VITAL. It helps student veterans integrate their lives into society and school after serving time in the military. The program offers financial, mental and physical health resources and connections to resources off campus.

Brenda Carter, a VITAL representative at the Veterans’ Administration, said some students do not realize what VITAL offers.

“A lot of student veterans walk past these offices not realizing what we can do for them,” she said.

The Veteran Service Office is located in Woody Hall and includes the VITAL program. The program started at the university in 2010.

Carter said the program gives students opportunities they may miss.

“A lot of veterans, when they get out of the military, don’t realize they are eligible for health benefits through Veteran Affairs,” she said. “They also may not realize the educational help they can receive, whether it be tutoring or adjusting to a schedule. We also educate the administration on signs of PTSD and how to address an issue if one arises in class.”

Ezra Brabham, a freshman from Long Island, N.Y., studying linguistics, said VITAL has helped him with even the smallest of adjustments to civilian life.

“I have been using VITAL since the beginning of this semester and it has helped me in ways some people wouldn’t even think of,” he said. “Adjusting is very hard and involves a lot of details. For example, I had to adjust to not wearing tall black socks everyday. That was a hard one even though it seems minute.”

Brabham said he recommends VITAL for any student veteran.

“If you are a student veteran and you don’t use VITAL, you should,” he said. “It can change so many things for you. They can keep you from going down a dark path and from being overwhelmed.”

Carter said VITAL also offers group therapy to students.

“Sam Hoekstra is a veteran and graduate from SIU and does peer support services as well as group therapy,” he said. “He has gone through situations that students in therapy identify with or can identify with. Some students prefer this because they want someone who has been through the military.”