Polar Plunge aids Special Olympics

Polar Plunge aids Special Olympics

By Kia Smith

An SIU professor played the part of a penguin this week in the Fourth Annual Polar Plunge for Special Olympics Illinois.

Hundreds of spectators, participants, students and community members gathered Saturday at Campus Lake as Cheryl Jarvis, professor of marketing and adviser for the SIU chapter of the American Marketing Association, was one of many who took the plunge after her students raised over $40,000 for the fundraiser.

The Polar Plunge is a national fundraising effort for the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics. Corporate sponsors for the event include the Recreation Center, Illinois State Police and River Radio.

Torch Run is the largest fundraiser benefitting Special Olympics Illinois.

The Special Olympics began in July of 1968. Eunice Kennedy Shriver and her peers sponsored the first games held in Chicago at Soldier Field.

Special Olympics Illinois provides funding for more than 21,000 athletes, 40,000 volunteers and 18 area programs in all 102 of Illinois’ participating counties. It provides year-round activities for individuals who suffer from intellectual disabilities.

Torch Runner and State Trooper Michael Usher said the Polar Plunge was a fun and effective way to raise money for a good cause.

“It’s important that we do these fundraisers because these athletes are able to compete with no cost to them or their families,” he said. “The Special Olympics is an awesome organization and this is my second year being involved in it, and it feels good being able to help transform the lives of those with intellectual disabilities.”

Jarvis, wearing a penguin costume especially for the event, said AMA is responsible for bringing the plunge to Carbondale.

“Four years ago, a couple of our officers did the plunge at Rend Lake and came to me and said, ‘We have a beautiful lake; we should be able to do it here,'” she said.

That plan turned into the AMA’s official fundraiser, and Jarvis said they now do it every year.

“It’s just become huge,” she said. “The first year we raised about $27,000, the second year they raised about $33,000, the third year they raised about $42,000 and this year I anticipate that we raised over $60,000.”

Individuals can also raise money for the cause with a $75 minimum donation.

“I personally rose over $2,700 just by soliciting friends, colleagues and family members who wanted to see me take the plunge,” Jarvis said.

Visibly nervous, Jarvis said she was excited to partake in the event.

“I’m plunging to support my students,” she said. “They wanted me to plunge the first year they did it, and I said I would challenge them. I said if they could raise at least $40,000, I’d do it. This just goes to show you, never underestimate the power of what SIU students can do when they put their energy and minds to it.”

Kristina Miller, a senior from Lake Villa studying marketing and German, is the event coordinator for the local AMA chapter. She also took the plunge in support of one of her family members.

“I’m plunging for my cousin who has autism. We’re about the same age, and I’m just doing it for him.”

For more information about the Polar Plunge, visit www.soill.org.