Science students awarded at Spring Symposium

By Luke Nozicka

Student researchers from different fields gathered to compete at the annual Spring Symposium over Valentine’s Day weekend.

The Illinois Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation and the Center for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Education and Research sponsored the two-day conference. Out of the 80 presentations, two SIU students received awards for their research.

Le’Mark Russell, a junior from Chicago studying mathematics and physics, won first place for his oral presentation titled “Mixed-State Entanglement Transformations: Are They Possible?” Nina Moore, a senior from Chicago studying engineering technology, won second place for her poster presentation titled “Bio-Digester Heater with Wireless Sensor Technology.”

Five SIU students made presentations at the conference.

The weekend consisted of 50 of which were poster and 30 oral presentations. Students came from universities across the state, including DePaul University, Chicago State University and Illinois State University.

The conference consisted of both undergraduate and graduate categories.

Russell said when he submitted his abstract he had his adviser’s name, Eric Chitambar, on it and his presentation was put under the graduate category.

“When I saw the mistake in the register book… I corrected it and they corrected it with the judges, but I didn’t notice at the time I was still in the graduate presenters,” Russell said.

After his presentation, Russell was disappointed when the judges announced the winners for the undergraduate categories.

“So then I was surprised when they announced the first place award for me for the graduate category,” he said. “Even though I’m an undergraduate.”

Chitambar, an assistant professor of physics, said Russell is doing researcher level studies as an undergraduate. He started working with Russell last fall and functions as his adviser.

“Its just phenomenal,” Chitambar said. “He’s done really good group presentations in the past so I knew he had the ability to speak clearly in what he knows”

Chitambar said he is working with Russell again for next year’s competition and many others.

“I’m very optimistic that we will move on to other accomplishments as well,” he said.

Luke Nozicka can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter at @LukeNozicka, or 536-3311 ext. 268.