Toussaint Mitchell elected as next USG president

Brian Munoz

Newly elected Undergraduate Student Government president Toussaint Mitchell, a junior studying cinema from Aurora, reacts as the results of this year’s election are announced Wednesday, April 11, 2018, in the Missouri Room of the Student Center. (Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz)

By Reagan Gavin, Managing Editor

Toussaint Mitchell was elected the next Undergraduate Student Government president Wednesday, replacing Emily Buice for the upcoming 2018-2019 term.

Mitchell is a junior studying cinema and photography and ran against three other candidates, Colton Newlin, Jordan Henderson and Conner Eigelberger.

He won by 14.78 percent. 

Mitchell had 395 votes out of the total 1062, 37 percent of the popular vote.

Newlin received 238 votes, Eigelberger finished with 216, Henderson with 197 and 16 votes going to the write-in option.

“Everything I said in these debates and everything I said online – everything I said about issues with SIU and how I plan on fixing them, I meant every single word about that,” Mitchell said. “Every single word.”

1,062 undergraduate students out of 13,031 total undergrads voted totaling approximately 8 percent of the undergraduate student body.

“I know that we are all going to be able to do what we need to do on this campus to make some sort of change and some sort of difference to help the students,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell said his first plan is to meet with his executive board and make sure they begin the term on the same page.

“I need to make sure my team is all on one accord about what we’re going to do and then make sure that the senate is all on one accord moving forward,” Mitchell said. “We cant keep moving as individuals.”

Mitchell’s executive board will consist of Executive Vice President Paxton Morse, a freshman studying agriculture systems and education, Vice-President of Student Affairs Bethany Peppers, a junior studying africana studies, Chief of Staff MiKala “MK” Barrett, a junior studying political science, Treasurer Dacia Brown, a junior studying biological science and pending requirements, Secretary Cushe’ Blackmon, a junior studying communication studies.

“I know it says my name on there but it’s not just me that was selected, it was my entire ticket,” Mitchell said. “I made sure that everyone on my ticket was qualified for every position that they’re in.”

Mitchell will be sworn in at the next USG meeting on Tuesday, April 17.

Managing Editor Reagan Gavin can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @RGavin_DE.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.