Russell wins Saluki Invitational, Salukis take second

Mary Newman

Freshman Emilyee McGiles, of Orland Park, drives the ball, Sunday, March 25, 2018, during the 24th annual Saluki Invitational at Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale. (Mary Newman | @MaryNewmanDE)

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

The SIU women’s golf team placed second of 14 teams in the Saluki Invitational on Sunday at Hickory Ridge Golf Course.

In 36 holes, the Salukis posted a final score of 48-over-par 624, only seven strokes behind tournament-winner IUPUI’s 617.

SIU freshman Moyea Russell took home the individual title with a 1-over-par 145 through two rounds. The victory marked her first collegiate win and the fourth-best score in the tournament’s history.

Russell’s victory marked the second straight year that a Saluki won the tournament, as Brooke Cusumano took the title last year.

Senior Alice Ho, who competed as an individual, placed fourth with a 5-over-par 149. Fellow senior Hanna Netisingha tied for ninth with a 154.

Rounding out the top 20 was junior Sun Jung, who also competed as an individual, in a tie for 19th with a 159, 15 strokes over par.

The Salukis beat out Missouri Valley Conference rivals Loyola and Valparaiso, who finished eighth and ninth, respectively.

Southern will compete in the Jan Weaver Invitational at Murray State for its final tournament before the MVC Championships. The Invitational is scheduled for April 6-7 in Murray, Kentucky.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.