Saluki sprinters shine at Bill Cornell Spring Classic

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

The Saluki track and field team opened up their outdoor season with the Bill Cornell Spring Classic this weekend.

In the fifth year of the SIU-hosted event, eleven squads traveled to Carbondale to compete in the Classic.

The Saluki women sprinters were the stars of the show as they accounted for five of the 11 titles that the team took home.

Junior sprinter Tyjuana Eason took first in the 100-meter with a time of 11.86, while sophomore sprinter Shaifqua Maloney claimed a win in the 200-meter with a time of 24.84.

Senior sprinter Alicia Reed took first in the 400-meter with a time of 58.15.

The women’s relay team claimed victories in both the 4 x 100m relay and the 4x400m relay with times of 46.43 and 3:45.05, respectively.

The Saluki men’s relay team also claimed a victory, as they took first in the 4 x 400 relay with a time of 3:17.24.

Freshman jumper Caleb Vogel kept things going for Southern as he took first in the high jump with a mark of 6′-6.25″ for his first career win in the event.

Meanwhile, sophomore jumper Marcellus Fletcher claimed a win in the triple jump with a mark of 47′-6.5″.

Sophomore Charlene Helton took home her first career title in the javelin with a personal-best throw of 128′-6.75″.

Junior thrower Rickey Hurley took first in the discus with a mark of 161′-6.75″, while senior thrower Jared Kern took first in the shot put with a mark of 64′-2.5″.

Freshman thrower A’Veun Moore took first in the women’s shot put with a mark of 49′-5″, a new personal best.

Up next, the team will travel to Sacramento, California on for the second event of the outdoor season. The event will be hosted by Sacramento State and will last from March 29-31.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter