Saluki softball splits doubleheader with Loyola

By Ryan Demer, Sports Reporter

Saluki softball split its doubleheader against the Loyola Ramblers (13-10) on Saturday afternoon at Charlotte West Stadium.

Southern dominated in the first game with a 9-1 victory.

Junior Brianna Jones toed the rubber in the victory, tossing all six innings with five strikeouts in the mercy-rule shortened game.

Loyola who struck first in the second inning with a run off an RBI single.

However, the Salukis came right back in the third inning and plated two runs after RBI hits by sophomore catcher Katelyn Massa and freshman left fielder Megan Brown. Massa batted 3-6 on the day with five RBI.

Southern’s bats truly came alive in the fourth inning when the Salukis scored five runs after multiple RBI singles.

In the fifth, junior first baseman Jordan Spicer came in to pinch hit and corked a solo home run. Then, Massa hit an RBI double in the sixth to initiate the mercy rule.

In the second game, the Salukis battled but fell 5-2.

Senior Savanna Dover headed the circle for the Salukis, tossing four innings and allowing only five hits.

The Ramblers got the game going with a solo shot in the first inning that put them up 1-0.

Massa followed with an RBI groundout in the bottom of the first and tied the game at one.

Loyola then cranked a two-run homer in the third inning to regain the lead.

Once again, Massa responded with an RBI single that tightened the score to 3-2.

However, the Salukis could not produce any more offense and allowed the Ramblers to score a run in the fifth and seventh innings after Brown was sent in to relieve Dover.

The Salukis (15-10) conclude action against the Ramblers on Sunday for the rubber game of the series. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.

Sports writer Ryan Demer can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @RyanDemer_DE 

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.