Men’s golf ties for third at South Florida Invitational

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

The SIU men’s golf team claimed third place in the South Florida Invitational held in Tampa, Florida on Monday and Tuesday.

South Florida, the tournament’s host, posted a three-round team score of 875 and won the event with a 29-stroke advantage over second-place Florida Atlantic. Southern finished behind FAU with a combined score of 906.

In the individual standings, SIU junior Peyton Wilhoit tied for third with sophomore Kyle Flexsenhar of USF with a 3-over-par score of 219. USF seniors Priyanshu Singh and Claudio Correa finished with scores of 216 and 217 that earned first and second-place, respectively.

Saluki junior Luke Gannon — who sank 10 birdies in the tournament — finished in a tie for seventh with a 6-over-par 222. Junior Hunter York finished eight strokes behind Gannon in a tie for 21st.

Rounding out Southern’s scorecard was senior Dirk Kuehler in a tie for 27th with a 235 and sophomore Frankie Thomas with a 247. Junior Dean Harpe, who competed as an individual, tied for 36th with a 21-over-par 237.

The third-place finish marked the highest placement the team has reached this spring and the second-best overall finish of the season.

SIU will return home to prepare for its next round of competition at the William & Mary Kingsmill Intercollegiate in Williamsburg, Virginia on March 25-27.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.