Lineup could take the biggest hit

By Alyssa Soler-Hutchinson

The Saluki baseball depth chart may see some adjustments after starting hitters struggled in the past week.

Even though freshman middle infielder Connor Kopach has the lowest batting average on the team at .161, he should start at least one or two of the five games this week. That may sound fishy, but the starting middle infielders went a combined 3-30 this week. Granted, senior shortstop Jake Welch walked six times in four games, but senior second baseman Ryan Rosthenhausler only recorded one hit and walked once.

Coach Ken Henderson said Kopach is one of the better defenders on the team and he battled at the plate in his two at-bats this weekend. He had an eight-pitch at-bat Saturday, where he made good contact on four pitches but they were all foul balls.

Rosthenhausler hit his second walk-off single of the season Friday, but Kopach should see the lineup a little more because of offensive struggles. He deserves a chance to crack the starting lineup once again.

Senior catcher Matt Jones was hitless this week in four games, while backup freshman catcher Jake Hand picked up four hits in four games.

Hand had his first two starts in right field during the weekend. The starting right field spot is up for grabs, and it is good to see Hand in the lineup but that does not mean he should start at catcher. Jones is in a slump, which happens in baseball all the time.

Senior outfielder Donny Duschinsky and junior outfielder Tyler Rolland have been the primary right fielders lately, but if Hand can play right field well, he can claim the starting spot.

The Saluki hitters may struggle overall, but senior first basemen Ryan Casillas is on fire. He was named the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Week last week, and picked up six more hits this week. He leads the team in nine offensive categories this season, including batting average, home runs and RBIs.

Freshman center fielder Dyllin Mucha had hits in eight of his last nine games, and has the second highest batting average on the team. Mucha has a lot of speed and the ability to bunt for a base hit.

Henderson broke an unwritten rule Tuesday against Southeast Missouri State University. Freshman Dyllin Mucha had a seven-game hitting streak, but did not start. It was okay, because Mucha missed the beginning of the weekend series for personal reasons.

Henderson brought Mucha into the game for senior Donny Duschinsky in the sixth inning. Mucha failed to get a hit in two at-bats, which ended the streak. Henderson’s move is justified, since the Salukis were losing the majority of the game, and Mucha had obviously been hot, but it is a shame to see a good hitting streak vanish the way it did.

The Salukis play at 5 p.m. Tuesday against the University of Tennessee- Martin and at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday against Austin Peay State University at Itchy Jones Stadium.

Aaron Graff can be reached at [email protected], @Aarongraff_DE or 536-3311 ext. 269