Saluki track and field takes home five titles at MVC Championships

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

The Saluki track and field team took home five titles at the Missouri Valley Conference Indoor Championships this weekend.

Senior thrower Isaac Ingram kicked things off for SIU on day one with a win in his signature event, the weight throw, with a toss of 70′-9.25″.

Ingram’s repeat in the event made him the sixth thrower in MVC history to repeat in the event. The senior was named All-MVC as well as the MVC Most Outstanding Athlete.

Junior teammate Rickey Hurley finished behind Ingram in the weight throw with a mark of 66-11.50″ and earned All-MVC honors in the event.

Senior distance runner Josh Maier took third in the 5000-meter with a time of 14:51.79 and second in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:18.57, earning All-MVC honors.

Sophomore runner Shafiqua Maloney took first in the 400-meter with a time of 55.05 and finished third in the 200-meter with a time of 24.38.

Junior runner Tyjuana Eason finished second in the 2oo-meter with a time of 24.24 and earned All-MVC honors.

In the jumps, sophomore Marcellus Fletcher took first in the triple jump with a mark of 50′-2.75″, a new personal best.

Junior thrower Adam Kessler won his first MVC title in the shot put with a career-best toss of 62′-9.5″, the fourth longest throw in program history. Senior teammate Jared Kern finished second with a toss of 62′-1″.

The women’s 4 x 400 relay team took home the title with a time of 3:43.35. The team consisted of Maloney, Eason, senior Mystique Thompson and senior Alicia Reed.

In team scoring, the men finished third with 105 points behind Illinois State (182) and Indiana State (112). The women finished fourth with 90 points behind Illinois State (174), Indiana State (139) and Northern Iowa (103.5).

Ingram and Kern will head to the 2018 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in College Station, Texas on March 9 to compete in their respective events.

As far as the rest of the team goes, the members will get three weeks off before returning home to begin the outdoor season in the Bill Cornell Spring Classic on March 23.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.