Saluki baseball shutout, swept in season-opening series

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

In his first start of the season, junior pitcher Mason Hiser took the mound for the Salukis in hopes of salvaging one game of the three-game set against Jacksonville State.

In Oxford, Alabama on Friday and Saturday, the Salukis dropped the first two games to JSU.

With one last shot at the Gamecocks (3-0), the Salukis were shutout and fell 6-0.

After he tossed a scoreless frame in the first, Hiser was touched for a solo home run by senior designated hitter Trent Simpson.

In the fourth, the Gamecocks added to their lead off a solo homer from senior center fielder Taylor Hawthorne.

Following two JSU singles in the fifth, freshman shortstop Isaac Alexander scored on an SIU throwing error.

Hiser was pulled after five innings. He allowed seven hits, two earned runs and struck out two in the loss.

Alexander singled in the sixth and scored junior catcher Nic Gaddis. The RBI single pushed the JSU lead to 4-0.

The Gamecocks scored two more runs in the seventh off of senior pitcher Allen Montgomery.

JSU hit two singles to begin the inning which was followed by an RBI groundout from Simpson. Then, sophomore first baseman Andrew Naismith drove in a run on an RBI single.

On the mound for the Gamecocks was senior pitcher Colton Pate. In his first victory of the season, Pate threw five innings of one-hit baseball.

Three more Gamecocks pitchers combined for four innings and allowed only four hits.

After being swept in the season-opening series, the Salukis (0-3) will look for redemption on Feb. 20 at Austin Peay. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.