Eason and Maloney lead the pack in Black and Gold Premier

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

Separated from the rest of the team, the SIU sprinters and hurdlers traveled to the University of Iowa to compete in the Black and Gold Premier on Jan. 27.

Junior Tyjuana Eason was the star of the meet as she took first in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.47, breaking SIU’s record time in the event and also setting the second-best time in Missouri Valley Conference.

In the 400-meter dash, sophomore Shafiqua Maloney placed first with a career-best time of 55.84, the eighth fastest time in SIU history.

Two Salukis — senior Kilee Hagerstrand and junior Mesh Newbold — placed in the top five in the women’s 60-meter hurdles. Hagerstrand took third in the event with a time of 8.66 with Newbold right behind in fifth with a season-best time of 8.70.

Newbold, Maloney, Eason and senior Chrissa Harris took second in the 4 x 400-meter relay with a time of 3:46.24, their second best time of the season.

Junior Warren Hazel finished second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 47.52. He also finished fourth in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.81.

Up next, the Salukis will return home to the Recreation Center to host the Don DeNoon Invitational. The two-day event will begin on February 2.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.