Salukis dominate Sycamores in meet

Brian Munoz

Grey Dawg and the SIU Swim and Diving team hype up Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, before the Salukis’ meet against the Indiana State Sycamores at the Edward J. Shea Natatorium in the recreation center. (Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz)

By Ryan Demer, Sports Reporter

In its fourth straight head-to-head meet victory, the Salukis topped the Indiana State Sycamores 189-111 at home.

Overall, SIU claimed 10 out of 16 on the women’s side, since men did not compete in the competitive events but held time trials.

The Southern swimmers fared well, winning 8 out of 14 events on the day.

Senior freestyler Bryn Handley won the 1000-yard freestyle event, finishing with a time of 10:10.86.

Handley won the 500-yard freestyle event as well in 5:02.79.

Senior Kelsie Walker earned her first win of the season in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:53.82.

SIU swimmers destroyed competition in the 100-yard breaststroke, with 3 Salukis claiming the top 3 spots. Sophomore Sam Parsons finished first in the event with a time of 1:06.03.

Junior Audrey Snyder claimed the 200-yard butterfly event with a time of 2:05.03.

Junior Emma Brazeau won the 100-yard butterfly event in 57.61.

The Saluki women claimed the 200-yard medley relay event for a season-best time by more than 10 seconds. The team of sophomores Julie Carvalho and Rita Naude and junior Jess Peck and senior Chandler Ott swam in 1:47.68.

The Southern diving team dominated competition throughout the meet.

Sophomore diver Beibei Ji won both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives, recording a new personal-best in the 1-meter dive with a score of 310.95. Her twin sister Baobao also recorded a personal-best score in the event with 303.45.

Senior Rachel Williams was right behind the two in both diving events, posting a personal-best in the 1-meter dive with a score of 276.60.

The Salukis continue action next Saturday at home to close out the regular season against Evansville for senior night. The meet is scheduled for 11 a.m.

Sports writer Ryan Demer can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @RyanDemer_DE 

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.