Steak ‘n Shake slated to open in Student Center in the spring

Logan+Tanner%2C+an+electrician+and+Marion+native%2C+pulls+wiring+through+a+wall+Tuesday%2C+Dec.+5%2C+2017%2C+at+the+newly+built+Steak+n+Shake+restaurant+in+the+Student+Center.+

Dylan Nelson

Logan Tanner, an electrician and Marion native, pulls wiring through a wall Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017, at the newly built Steak ‘n Shake restaurant in the Student Center.

By Staff report

As the fall semester comes to an end, some students are left wondering when the Student Center Steak ‘n Shake will finally open for business.

University officials announced in March 2017 that the business would open this semester, but its gates still remain closed.

Tena Bennett, director of the Student Center, said students should expect it in around January 2018.

“And if not, as soon as possible afterwards,” Bennett said.

She said the construction took longer than expected because an air-handling unit on the roof needed replaced. The plan is to bring in a helicopter over winter break to install the new unit, she said.

Bennett said there will be a big grand opening when the new Steak ‘n Shake is ready to open.

“I think they’ve got a great price point for students,” Bennett said.

Molly Groninger, a junior from Murphysboro studying biomedical sciences, said she thinks it’s better than the space’s old tenant, McDonald’s.

“I feel like it’s a little bit of a step up,” she said.

Withney Simon, a junior from Orlando studying broadcast communications, said it might be hard for food to get done as quickly at a Steak ‘n Shake as it did at McDonald’s, which might be annoying for busy students.

“That’s the only thing I’m worried about, like a lot of people got class and they stop in here to get lunch and stuff so the food gotta be ready,” Simon said.

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-536-3397 or [email protected].

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.