Campus Beach face-lift begins

By Marcus Gruwell

As the summer begins, so has the updated landscaping around Campus Lake, including new plants and land formations, as well as promised updates for the former beach area.

A nature trail is planned around the Campus Lake beach after roughly three years of renovation. While there is no official completion date, the trail is estimated to be finished sometime in 2015.

Before construction began, Campus Beach had a volleyball court and a concession stand for students.

Plants and foliage now grow where the former concession stand and shower rooms once stood.

Davidson Smith, a senior studying journalism from Chicago, said he’s only been to the lake a few times, and has never seen the beach without the fences.

“I rarely go to the lake and only see fences around the Campus Lake, but I hope they come down soon,” Smith said.

Jeff Goelz, assistant director of Aquatics and Outdoor Pursuits, said the new part of the lake would serve as an observatory for nature for students to explore.

“We mostly just want to create a new experience for people who walk around the lake … and it will be a nice addition to the lake as well,” Goelz said.

Goelz said the time has slowed down on construction due to cost related issues dealing with construction of the lake.

“We’ve slowed down a little due to money issues, but now that construction has picked up, we’ll finish the project here soon,” Goelz said.

Kyle Hogendorp, a 2008 SIU alumnus with a degree in sociology, said he didn’t know many people who were aware of Campus Beach before it was closed.

“I always thought that Campus Lake is one of the prettiest parts that SIU has to offer,” Hogendorp said. “I feel that students just forget we have a beach. It’s somewhat sad it’s not an option anymore.”

Marcus Gruwell can be reached at 217-622-3601 or at [email protected]