Carbondale votes to lift Halloween ban

By Marissa Novel

Because of the successful 2013 trial run, three bars on the Strip will be open again on Halloween.

The Carbondale City Council voted to lift the restrictions on Hangar 9, Stix and Sidetracks at the May 20 meeting.

City Manager Kevin Baity said the expected crowds were less than usual the past year due to bad weather. Reports from the police and fire departments from the area included minimal infractions, Baity said.

The bars have been closed for Halloween since 1994. The ban was lifted in 2000, but was reinstated after a destructive riot led police to use tear gas on the masses.

Councilwoman Jane Adams said she is in favor of getting rid of the ban entirely. She said the shift in student-residential options has impacted the businesses of the Strip.

“There are a lot more students looking at these better-quality apartments that are not that close to the Strip and I think that’s a real factor,” she said.

Adams said in the 1980s and 1990s, more students lived in houses on the west side of the city and now more students are seeking housing in apartment complexes on the east and south sides.

Adams said she has seen a change in her own residential area, near South Poplar Street. She said that during Unofficial Halloween, the streets were full of vehicles and people were overflowing into the streets.

“I looked around on Halloween weekend and there were no cars parked next to houses; lights were out. It was a quieter weekend than normal,” she said.

Many students take advantage of the Amtrak during Halloween weekend to visit friends in other areas, a fact that Adams said she believes also impacts the bar scene.

“My presumption was that they partied on the weekend before Halloween and all their friends came from out of town and went elsewhere for Halloween evening,” she said.

Adams said she has seen a difference in student recreation in the past few years. She said she thinks students are more studious, healthier and would rather opt for outdoor recreation instead of house parties or bar life.

“I think the notion of what fun is may have changed,” Adams said.

Acting Mayor Don Monty said he is not quick to permanently lift the ban.

“What I would like to do is try this a year at a time until we get a real clear picture as to whether or not there has been a permanent change in behavior,” he said.

Monty said if this year goes as smoothly, then the ban could be permanently lifted.

Sally Carter, owner of Hangar 9, said she expects things to go well.

“We do certain things to ensure the safety of our patrons and employees every day,” she said. “Halloween will be no different.”

In the case of an emergency, the city has an intervention plan prepared with the police, fire and street-maintenance departments.

Marissa Novel can be reached at [email protected] or 536-3311 ext. 257.