SIU volleyball falls to Indiana State in four set thriller

The SIU volleyball team listen to coach Kari Thompson Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, during the Salukis’ 4-1 loss to the University of Indiana Sycamores at Davies Gym. (Auston Mahan | @MahanAuston_DE)

By Dillon Gilliland

SIU volleyball’s two-game win streak came to end against the Indiana State Sycamores at Davies Gym, losing the match in four sets (25-21, 21-25, 23-25, 19-25) Saturday night.

The Salukis came into Saturday’s matchup against the Indiana State Sycamores (5-11, 3-1 MVC) looking to extend their winning streak to three games and maintain their winning record in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Southern has had success against Indiana State in the past winning the last five contests and nine out of the last ten. The Salukis have had even more success against the Sycamores at home, not suffering a loss to Indiana State in Carbondale since Nov. 5, 2011.

In the first set of the match, the Salukis took seven of first ten points of the game. The hot start began with a quick kill by senior outside hitter Abby Barrow.

After a strategic timeout called by Indiana State, both teams took turns trading points. The Sycamores were able to battle their way back into the match by going on a couple of five-point runs to take a 14-12 lead.

Senior outside hitter Andrea Estrada reacts to a play Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, during the Salukis’ 4-1 loss to the University of Indiana Sycamores at Davies Gym. (Mary Newman | @MaryNewmanDE)

The teams once again continued to trade points throughout the set until Southern coach Kari Thompson called a timeout to slow down Indiana State’s run.

SIU came out of its timeout and quickly shifted the momentum back in its favor. After a couple of kills from Barrow, the Salukis took back their lead 20-19 and forced the Sycamores to take another timeout.

Indiana State failed to battle back as freshman opposite hitter Maggie Nedoma was able to put away the Sycamores with two kills, giving Southern the first set of the match 25-21.

“It felt good to know that I’m the person they go to for the end of the game plays,” Nedoma said. “Where I came from I was the finisher, and that is what I really push to be here.”

Coach Kari Thompson addresses her team Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, during the Salukis’ 4-1 loss to the University of Indiana State Sycamores at Davies Gym. (Mary Newman | @MaryNewmanDE)

The Salukis carried their first set momentum over into the second, once again jumping to a quick lead inspired by a kill from redshirt senior opposite hitter Andrea Estrada.

The Sycamores immediately turned things around with a quick three-point run taking their first lead of the set 6-4.

Both teams continued to battle back and forth through the set, but the Sycamores were able to chain together a couple of two-point runs along with a three-point run to take a 18-13 lead over Southern.

SIU battled its way back into the set, closing the gap to 21-19 after a couple of kills by Estrada and Nedoma, forcing Indiana State to take another timeout.

The Sycamores came out of their timeout and quickly put Southern away with a couple of two-point runs, taking the second set 25-21 and tying the match at 1-1.

The Salukis claimed a 4-2 lead early in the third set off of two kills from Estrada and a kill from Nedoma.

SIU continued to extend their lead as Barrow added two more kills to her tally, putting Southern ahead of the Sycamores 11-7.

Indiana State battle their way back into the set, taking five out of next six points to tie the match up at 12-12 and force Southern to take their first timeout of the set.

Sophomore setter Alayna Martin encourages a teammate Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, during the Salukis’ 4-1 loss to the University of Indiana Sycamores at Davies Gym. (Auston Mahan | @MahanAuston_DE)

Following the timeout, neither team was willing to let the other team gain a two-point advantage as both teams took turns juggling the lead until settling at a 17-17 tie.

The Sycamores were finally able to gain a little bit of breathing room as they put together a quick two-point run to take a 19-17 lead, forcing the Salukis to take another timeout.

SIU came out of its second timeout and went on a two-point run to keep the set close at 22-21 in favor of ISU.

The Salukis fell short as the Sycamores went on to take the third set 25-23 after a service error by Southern, giving Indiana State a 2-1 match lead.

Just as they did in the three previous sets the Salukis jumped to yet another quick lead, fueled by a couple attack errors by Indiana State and a service ace by Barrow.

The Sycamores immediately responded with a six-point run of their own to put them ahead of Southern 8-5.

Sparked by a kill and a service ace by Estrada, SIU was able to piece together a four-point run to tie the set back up at 10-10.

Indiana State once again forced the Salukis to chase them as they took four of the next five points, taking a 14-11 lead and forcing SIU to take another timeout.

Sophomore setter Alayna Martin prepares to hit a serve Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, during the Salukis’ 4-1 loss to the Indiana State Sycamores at Davies Gym. (Auston Mahan | @MahanAuston_DE)

The Salukis could not battle their way back into set as the Sycamores went on to take the fourth and final set 25-19 to secure a 3-1 match victory.

Nedoma went on to lead the Salukis in kills with a total of 14 on the night.

Sophomore setter Alayna Martin once again led the team in assists with a total of 35.

Barrow led the team in digs with 20, to go along with 11 total kills.

“Indiana State is a great team,” Thompson said. “I would like to see us fight back-and-forth a little more.”

Nedoma agreed with her coach’s sentiments after the game.

“I really liked how we played offense,” Nedoma said. “We just need to keep fighting back. We are a really good team and need to stop doubting ourselves.”

SIU (4-12, 3-2 MVC) will be back in action in Davies Gym on Oct. 7 against Missouri State University. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.