SIU swim & dive wins first event of the season against Evansville

Dylan Nelson

Freshman Abbie Young checks the scoreboard Friday, Sept. 15, 2017, during the Salukis’ first meet of the season against Lindenwood University at the Dr. Edward Shea Natatorium. (Dylan Nelson | Dylan_Nelson99)

By Dillon Gilliland

The SIU swimming and diving team faced off against the Evansville Purple Aces this weekend, taking its first win of the season with final scores of 97-49 for the women and 89-54 for the men.

Southern came into the meet looking to keep its record flawless against Evansville, as the Salukis have never suffered a loss to the Purple Aces.

The divers took to the boards Friday evening. The meet consisted of four diving events, the 1- and 3-meter women’s dive and 1- and 3-meter men’s dive. Southern claimed first in all four events.

Women’s Diving Results

Sophomore diver Baobao Ji led the women’s team in the one-meter event with a score of 278.62. Sophomore diver Beibei Ji took the three-meter event with a score of 278.77.

Men’s Diving Results

Sophomore diver Eli Mercado led the men’s diving team, taking both the one- and three-meter dive with scores of 290.17 and 249.00 respectively.

The swimmers hit the pools Saturday afternoon. All events in the swimming portion of the meet were relay events. The SIU women took first in all of the women-exclusive events while the men claimed the majority of their events against Evansville.

Women’s Relay Results

Sophomore Rita Naude, freshamn Abbie Young and junior Emma Brazeau placed first in the 300-yard butterfly relay with a time of 2:54.58.

Senior McKenna Avery, sophomore Juliana Carvalho and Naude took the win in the 300-yard backstroke relay with a time of 2:58.45.

Junior Abby Kresal, senior Liane Tatigian and sophomore Emma Roehrdanz took the 300-yard breaststroke relay with a time of 2:51.94.

Junior Jordan Ries and seniors Kelsie Walker, Chandler Ott and Bryn Handley claimed first place the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:35.25.

Avery, Ries, Walker and Handley took the 500-yard relay with a time of 4:36.91.

Juniors Jessica Peck and Brazeau alongside sophomores Laura Carver and Samantha Parsons placed first in the 400-yard IM relay with a time 4:05.53.

Avery, Ott, Walker and Handley took the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:38.74.

Men’s Relay Results

Sophomores Benson Jones and Chris Phillips alongside senior Michael Connor placed first in the 300-yard butterfly relay with a time of 2:38.63.

Phillips along with freshmen Kyle Berquist and Sam Drew finished in first place in the 300-yard breaststroke relay with a time of 2:57.55.

Sophomores Matt Ciezczak and Kevin Kluge with juniors Reilly Garman and Nolan Fahey took the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:13.13.

Sophomores Jimmy Dooley and Ryan Lehane alongside Drew and Junior Alex Martinez won the 400-yard IM relay with a time of 3:40.48.

Senior Alex Crawford with Drew, Jones and Ciezczak took the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:27.63.

Up Next

SIU swimmers will hit the pools again at 11 a.m. on Oct. 7 in Springfield, Mo against the defending Missouri Valley Conference Champions, Missouri State.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.