SIU swept in final tournament game by host WMU

Mary Newman | @MaryNewmanDE

Sophomore outside hitter Alysa Sutton, 12, blocks the ball Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2017, during the Salukis’ 22-25 loss against Arkansas State University at SIU Arena. (Mary Newman | @MaryNewmanDE)

By Ryan Demer

SIU volleyball dropped a 3-0 decision to the Western Michigan Broncos (5-3) on Saturday to close out play in the Western Michigan Tournament inside Read Fieldhouse in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

The Salukis faced a tough Bronco squad in their second match of the tournament, led by preseason All-MAC selection senior middle blocker Sydney LeMay.

Southern jumped out to an early 5-4 lead in the opening set, but WMU quickly responded with a 7-0 run to take a 13-6 lead. The Broncos never looked back, maintaining the lead through the rest of the set to take a 25-15 win.

Western Michigan built off the momentum of its commanding win in the first set, taking an early 6-1 lead in the second. SIU quickly responded with a 4-0 run to bring the score within one point, 6-5.

The Broncos claimed nine of the next 10 points scored in the set, assisted by a 6-point run, to take a comfortable 15-6 lead over the Salukis. SIU closed to within seven points of the WMU at 21-14, but the deficit proved too much to overcome as Southern dropped the second set 25-17.

Southern came out rallying in the third set, as they took an early 5-2 lead. The Salukis battled hard, as the last set was neck and neck. Both teams consistently traded points to a 21-21 tie late in the set.

The Broncos quickly took control of the match with a 3-0 run to put the Salukis against match point 24-21. Following a Southern timeout, redshirt senior outside hitter Andrea Estrada recorded a kill, giving SIU life for a comeback.

Southern could not capitalize on the brief momentum shift built by Estrada, surrendering match point to Western Michigan to lose the third set 25-22 and the match 3-0.

Four Salukis recorded at least five kills, with senior outside hitter Abby Barrow leading the way with seven. Estrada contributed with six kills. while recorded eight digs and one ace.

Senior middle hitter Kolby Meeks tacked on 5 kills, and senior defensive specialist Ashley Edelen notably notched her first kill since Nov. 2015 while recording a team-best nine digs in the match.

Freshman setter/hitter Rachel Maguire finished with 15 assists and 8 digs, while sophomore setter Alayna Martin recorded 14 assists and 6 digs throughout the match.

The Broncos had three different players that reached double-digit figures in kills, led by LeMay with 11 on the day.

Playing in their second game in as many nights, the Salukis were out-hit by the Broncos .330 to .140.

SIU (0-7) returns to Carbondale to host Southeast Missouri State University in a non-conference match-up on Tuesday night at SIU Arena. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Sports writer Ryan Demer can be reached at [email protected].

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.