Miller wins student trustee re-election

By Brent Meske

Adrian Miller, a senior from Carbondale studying political science, has won the student trustee re-election. Miller will take his seat on the SIU Board of Trustees at its first meeting Sept. 11.

Miller won the election with 496 of the 1,092 votes cast. Christopher Wheetley, a junior from Murphysboro studying political science, received 357 votes and Jim Tobin, a senior from Farmer City studying agricultural systems and education, received 229.

“I couldn’t have had two better opponents,” Miller said. “But I think the students spoke. To win nearly half the votes with three people is a strong mandate. I’m going to go to the board meeting to advocate and work hard.”

Miller said he plans to work on several issues while serving as student trustee, such as finding a solution to parking issues.

“One of the plans I submitted [Wednesday] night was a parking garage on the corner of Mill Street and Route 51,” said Miller, who serves on the Downtown Advisory Committee. “It’s a solution that would help a lot of parties.”

Miller said he also wants to examine fees. He said funding important organizations, such as student activities, is critical.

“If we look at a lot of the success we’ve had, it has come out of the student activities area,” Miller said. “If we want to retain students, we need to look at how we get them involved and invested in SIU. The best way to do this is to get them involved in an organization on campus and get them engaged.”

Andy Morgan, acting associate dean of students, said he has confidence in Miller because of his experience as Undergraduate Student Government president.

“He’s going to do a great job,” Morgan said. “He’ll listen to students, administrators, staff and alumni and he’ll be a voice for them too.”