One-of-a-kind class to debut in spring

By Austin Miller

This spring, SIU is will offer a free online course that is the first of its kind.

Behavior Analysis and Therapy for Autism Spectrum Disorders is the university’s first Massive Open Online Course, and is the only course in the country that deals with autism.

Ruth Anne Rehfeldt, professor of behavior analysis and therapy, who will be the instructor, said the eight-week class will serve as an overview for behavior analysis and how it can be used as therapy for people with autism spectrum disorders. She said applied analysis is the only treatment found to help treat these disorders. The course will teach how to provide language, social, leisure and daily-living skills for those with autism.

“We desperately need people with a behavior analysis background,” Rehfeldt said. “More people are being diagnosed every year.”

One in 68 children are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders, according the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website.

Students are not eligible to sign-up for this class if they are already enrolled at the university, but Rehfeldt said she hopes the class will bring students to Carbondale.

Rehfeldt said MOOCs have become popular within the last few years and these classes are designed for hundreds of students who are interested in specialty areas. People from all over the world can take these classes.

“These are for people who want to test the waters in a new field,” she said. “They can also help professionals get new skills.”

She said she will use readings, online discussions, video presentations, clinical footage and podcasts she has done with other professionals in the field during the course.

Mark Dixon, coordinator of the behavioral analysis and therapy program, is helping supply information for the class.

Dixon said he will provide video lectures and learning materials he has created through his research. He said he is excited because of how modern the class is.

“This isn’t just PowerPoints from the Internet,” Dixon said. “It’s going to blow people away with how innovative it is.”

Rehfeldt said the class will move at a “self-pace.”

“At the end of each week, the class materials will be due,” she said. “But during the week, they are free to move along at their own pace.”

The class is a part of the SIU Rehabilitation Institute and College of Education and Human Services.

Keith Wilson, dean of the College of Education and Human Services, said he is looking forward to the effects the course will have.

“This course will have participants from across the United States enrolled,” Wilson said. “For many, this course will be an introduction to the great faculty that we have not only in the Rehabilitation Institute, but the college and university.”

Rehfeldt said she anticipates100 and 200 individuals registered in the class. They come from six different countries and 22 states, she said.

Carl Flowers, director of the Rehabilitation Institute, said he is encouraged by the course’s recruitment potential.

“As director, I’m excited about offering courses that increase the awareness of the institute and for SIU.”

Rehfeldt said individuals who finish the course will receive a certificate of completion.