Run, hide or fight for your life

By Dana Stoerger

A door is kicked open, and behind it is an assailant with a gun, do you run, hide or fight?

ROTC cadets have to make this decision during active shooter drills to help the cadets learn how to react in dangerous situations.

One such drill took place on Greek Row near Campus Lake Thursday.

“We want to make it more real for them,” said Maj. Matt Morse, an assistant professor of military science at SIU.

Morse and officers from the Department of Public Safety conducted scenarios, which were adapted from the “Run. Hide. Fight.” program, designed by the U.S Department of Homeland Security. Morse said this program is aimed to help people respond to an active shooter on campus.

“This is some new curriculum that came down this past summer,” Morse said.

One drill included cadets simulating active shooters on the floor of a building on campus. Cadets had to respond to stun grenades thrown near them and blank bullet cartridges fired at them. Their responses ranged from running from the threat, hiding from the threat or fighting the threat.

“It is something I thought about, and contacted the police department and asked what can they do for us; what can you show our students,” Morse said. “We always train for the ‘what if?’ … now we’re prepared.”

He said making these scenarios as real as possible will help the cadets respond accordingly.

Cody Kindle, a sophomore from Pittsfield studying biological sciences, said the training is appropriate with the amount of campus violence around the country.

It is good timing with everything going on. We are learning first-hand experience for if something were to happen,” he said.

On the Run. Hide. Fight. webpage there is an active shooter booklet that has insight for what to do in different situations.

Morse said students may not think anything like this could ever happen but urged them to look at the information online from the Department of Homeland Security.

He said SIU police go through training like this, and would be a knowledgeable resource for concerned students.

The officers at the drills said watching the “Run. Hide. Fight.” video on YouTube can teach students tools for staying safe.

Morse said the preparation will enable cadets to react effectively to this scenario.

“I know how to fight, it’s automatic. It is engrained in your brain,” Morse said. “You don’t have to worry about thinking about it, you just react.”

Dana Stoerger can be reached at [email protected]