Flying Salukis win regional championship

By Muriel Berry

Pigs may not be able to fly, but the SIU Aviation team can, and did, at the National Intercollegiate Flying Association’s Region VIII Competition.

After competing against four other universities Tuesday through Friday, SIU took home the regional championship trophy.

During the competition student aviators competed for the best scores in nine events, including aircraft recognition, computer accuracy, power off, air flight inspection, short-field approach, landing, simulated comprehensive aircraft navigation and message drop.

The Flying Salukis qualified for the NIFA SAFECON National Competition for the second-consecutive year.

James Libuszowski, SIU aviation coach, said the team has participated in competitions for the past 48 years and qualified for nationals 47 of those years. He attributed the students’ success to their work ethic and the coach’s standards for the team.

“The team meets and exceeds our expectations every time,” he said. “They get a taste of winning and they never want to let that go. So, they’re willing to do as much work as we need from them.”

Libuszowski also said the flying events prepared students for a wide variety of careers, ranging from corporate to commercial flying.

SIU students finished in the top five of every event, contending with students from Quincy University, Purdue University, Lewis University and Indiana State University.

Andrew Ross, acting chief judge of the competition, said the judges had to take more than the technique and skill level of the aviators into consideration when they were picking event winners.

“What makes a good aviator is decision making; [aviation] careers are not so much technical careers as people believe them to be,” he said. “Showing how you alter when issues arise is what the competition really assesses.”

Seventy-five students participated in the event, 14 airplanes from different schools were used and 20 judges from the Region VIII area chose winners.

George Nimmer, a sophomore from Plymouth, Wis. studying aviation flight, placed first in three events. Nimmer said he has flown since his sophomore year of high school and will pursue a career as a professional pilot.

“These competitions help students work toward their future careers,” Nimmer said. “They teach us how to work really hard, because these flying events require students to go above and beyond.”

Ross said the aviation workforce needs all the talent it can find, and students who competed in the flying association’s competitions obtained an edge that their counterparts don’t have.

The national competition will take place May 11 at the Ohio State University airport.