Daily Egyptian

Fire destroys home near Attucks Park Wednesday evening

A firefighter works to battle a residential structure fire in the 400 block of East James and Thelma Walker Avenue on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017, in Carbondale. There were no injuries, but the home is considered a total loss, Assistant Fire Chief Steve McBride said. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. (Ryan Michalesko | @photosbylesko)

By Bill Lukitsch

No one was injured in a Wednesday evening blaze that brought Carbondale firefighters to the 400 block of East James and Thelma Walker Avenue, fire officials said.

Around 6 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to 409 E. James and Thelma Walker Ave. in response to a report of a structure fire.  Fire officials said the home, which is valued at an estimated cost of $60,000, is considered a total loss.

Assistant Fire Chief Steve McBride said when emergency crews arrived at the scene, they found the home heavily engulfed in flames.

Firefighters work to battle a residential structure fire in the 400 block of East James and Thelma Walker Avenue on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017, in Carbondale. There were no injuries, but the home is considered a total loss, Assistant Fire Chief Steve McBride said. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. (Ryan Michalesko | @photosbylesko)

McBride said it took roughly 45 minutes to get the fire under control.

The sole resident of the home was not harmed and went to a neighbor’s house to call emergency services, McBride said.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Campus editor Bill Lukitsch can be reached at 618-536-3326 or at [email protected].

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.