Racers outlast Salukis in Dawgs’ home opener

By Thomas Donley, @TdonleyDE

SIU baseball pulled off some late-inning dramatics but dropped its home opener 3-2 to Murray State on Wednesday.

The game was moved to Itchy Jones Stadium after originally being scheduled to play at Murray State because of weather. 

The Salukis’ (1-7) recorded 10 hits, nine of them singles, and left 11 men on base.

Murray State (2-5) took advantage of early mistakes to take an early lead.

Freshman Colin Holderman started for the Dawgs. He hit three batters, including the second and third men he faced. Those two HBP’s would score.

In the third inning, freshman infielder Greg Lambert drove in sophomore center fielder Dyllin Mucha on a fielder’s choice after a perfectly-executed hit-and-run by sophomore infielder Will Farmer moved Mucha to third.

After Holderman walked the first Racer batter of the fourth inning, senior Bryce Sablotny came in and pitched 4 scoreless innings. Sablotny allowed only 1 hit. Sophomore Chad Whitmer followed with two scoreless innings of his own.

Racer sophomore starter John Lollar exited after 2 innings, allowing just 1 run. Freshman Brandon Hicks and junior Andrew Bramley combined for 5 scoreless innings.

Junior Cody Maerz set the Salukis down in order in the eighth inning but allowed a ninth inning leadoff home run to freshman first baseman Logan Blackfan that tied the game.

The Salukis had runners at second and third with one out after singles by sophomore right fielder J.C. DeMuri and freshman shortstop Chase Slone. Slone stole second after his base hit.

DeMuri got caught in a rundown on a ground ball by Mucha and Farmer failed to reach base on a two-out bunt attempt.

The game was sent into extra innings.

After a scoreless 10th inning, Racer sophomore catcher Tyler Lawrence led off the top of the 11th with a triple. Two walks loaded the bases with one out before a sacrifice fly by freshman infielder Kipp Moore gave Murray State a 3-2 lead.

In the bottom of the inning, a safety squeeze attempt by Slone failed as freshman pinch-runner Braden Mosley was tagged out at the plate. Mucha struck out swinging to end the game.

Coach Ken Henderson said his team failed to capitalize when it had scoring chances.

“We did a fantastic job of manufacturing opportunities,” Henderson said. “We just did a poor job of managing those opportunities.”

Freshman Tyler Anderson picked up the win for Murray State. Junior Anthony Shimkus suffered the loss for SIU.

The Salukis return to action at 3 p.m. Friday at Itchy Jones Stadium in the first of a three-game series against Western Kentucky.

Thomas Donley can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 269.